i was interested in owning an oscar, but i know nothing about them. i have never owned any cichlids, or any fish of that size. I would most likely purchase a juvenile. here are my questions;
1. what size tank would it require (i know how big they get)? i only plan on keeping one, but i want him to be comfortable.
2. what do they eat?
3. I am aware that there are diff. colorations - but is their basic behavior the same?
4. what kind of extra things does it need in its tank? most of the ones i have seen are in pretty bare tanks - no plants.
5. water quality- do they require any specific parameters??
6. i have heard they live a long time- true or myth??
thanks for all your help!
What I know...
They require a minimum of 75G with heavy filtration. Some say 55G, but how could a 14"+ fish turn around in a 12" tank?
The reason for the bare tanks is probably because Oscars will re-arrange whatever they want to in a tank. This means uprooting plants, pushing rocks/decorations over, etc. If you do add anything to the tank, make sure it is heavy enough so the Oscar wont move it.
The age is true. From what I have heard, Oscars can live up to 15-20 years if kept in the right home under right condtions.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2