Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Freshwater Carp?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/freshwater-carp-15561/)

aunt kymmie 06-16-2008 03:36 PM

Freshwater Carp??

Hi- I just back from a trip out to the desert outside Barstow.
I belong to a private waterski lake (man-made) and it is shallow-
the deepest portion being 6'.

While driving my boat I noticed a huge fish floating near the surface and not moving much. I got into the water and once I was next to him I saw that he had a hook embedded between his gill and pectoral fin area.
He barely protested as I removed it. I was holding him when a friend took this picture. I tried moving him through the water to get him "going" and he slowly (very slowly) swam off.

I've sent this photo to a couple of friends and they all ask, "Is that real or is it fake?" I was wondering if anyone knew what type of fish this is and approx. how old? The lake was dug 20 years ago and the owner told me they stocked it with a dozen or so "fish" (he didn't know what) so that the algae/weeds would be kept at bay.

Is he going to make it? I'd like to think he'll be there the next trip I take out there. Other than removing the hook is there something else I should have done??

Thanks- kymmie

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/7621_Lake_Carp_2.jpg

steverothery 06-16-2008 03:45 PM

Sound's like you did the right thing. I've no idea what it is, but it is beautiful!

jeaninel 06-16-2008 06:18 PM

That's amazing that he let you help him. Good job! Sorry, can't help you on the ID either.

tophat665 06-16-2008 10:14 PM

Grass Carp - Ctenopharyngodon idella. World's most efficient weed eaters. Get crazy big if they have enough space and food (4' or more). Live a good long time too.

GeegaFish 06-17-2008 12:50 PM

I live in Upstate, NY and we have lots of fish that look like that! Yes, they are Grass Carp and some up here are at least 3' long.

When I go fishing in my canoe, the water is only about 12" deep in some places and the spawning carp move my boat all over with their thrashing. :shock: It's quite an experience to be knocked around by large fish under you. :lol:

rye 06-18-2008 08:12 AM

carp. I dont think the same species as koi, but very similar in behavior.

You can catch a whole mess of them with canned corn, or bowfish, snatchhook, or gig for them near banks in shallow areas on hot days. I wouldnt eat them, but they are fun to catch.

tophat665 06-18-2008 01:20 PM

Koi are selectively bred common carp - Cyprinus carpio carpio. Grass carp are in a different genus in the same family. They are farmed as a food fish. Being an herbivore rather than a detritevore like Common Carp, I would expect that they taste pretty darn good, and at 3' to 4' long probably feed a family of six.

rye 06-18-2008 01:28 PM

I've eaten them. maybe someone likes them, but I like most fish and I gotta say I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat carp again. I have heard that people in europe like to eat them. They taste kinda muddy. Like flathead catfish only worse.

tophat665 06-18-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rye
I've eaten them. maybe someone likes them, but I like most fish and I gotta say I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat carp again. I have heard that people in europe like to eat them. They taste kinda muddy. Like flathead catfish only worse.

This sounds like a job for eel sauce.
/ Takes unagi from tasting like the bottom of the river to the top of the clouds

// I feel dirty getting all culinary on an aquarium forum.

aunt kymmie 06-18-2008 05:09 PM

No kidding....I'm getting grossed out, but I do adore eel sauce.
This is my new little buddy we are talking about!
Seems like I should have thown him in a cooler,
brought him home and thrown him in a pan. :shock: