Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   55G stocking advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55g-stocking-advice-155545/)

sean forrey 04-17-2013 12:55 PM

55G stocking advice

Hey I just finished up setting up a new 55 gallon aquarium and am cycling it, and need advice for when I stocking it!
Below is a List of fish ive seen and liked...
  • Black Phantom Tetra
  • Red Belly X-Ray Tetra
  • Cory Catfish
  • Ghost Catfish:-D
  • Bleeding Heart Tetra
  • Mystery Snail
  • Golden Dojo Loach
  • Ghost Shrimp
  • African Dwarf Frog
  • Cherry Barb
  • Rainbow Shark:-D
  • Black Ruby Barb

I would like as much diversity in the tank so as many different kinds of fish as i can, i want the schooling fish to be in small to medium schools, and please don't give me an OVER stocked suggestion thank you!

MoneyMitch 04-17-2013 02:41 PM

what is your ph gh and kh?

sean forrey 04-17-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1783289)
what is your ph gh and kh?

Well my ph is confusing me its somewere between 7.4 and 7.8 I think.... and I have NO idea how to mesure my gh and also have no idea what kh is! :) this is why I joined this form thing so smart people like you can remind me / inform me about all this stuff I don't know
Posted via Mobile Device

MoneyMitch 04-17-2013 05:01 PM

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

have a read here, you could even message Byron for further explination after reading the article ^^

sean forrey 04-17-2013 06:15 PM

ok thank you I read it my IQ went up for a second and then my brain exploded.... i messaged brian cause i was still confused on some things

jaysee 04-17-2013 07:59 PM

welcome to the forum

Many of the fish you listed are appropriate for a 55 gallon tank. A few are not. The dojo loaches grow pretty large and the narrowness of the tank makes it on the small size. In my opinion it would be best to put them in a tank that is 48x18. The rainbow shark could work, depending on the stock you choose. The ADFs might have trouble. They are slow to get food, and are easily out competed. I know some people keep them in community tanks, and that's great. I'm just informing you of a potential problem with doing so.

sean forrey 04-17-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1786905)
welcome to the forum

Many of the fish you listed are appropriate for a 55 gallon tank. A few are not. The dojo loaches grow pretty large and the narrowness of the tank makes it on the small size. In my opinion it would be best to put them in a tank that is 48x18. The rainbow shark could work, depending on the stock you choose. The ADFs might have trouble. They are slow to get food, and are easily out competed. I know some people keep them in community tanks, and that's great. I'm just informing you of a potential problem with doing so.

Posted via Mobile Device

TitanTDH 04-17-2013 08:31 PM

Hey mate and welcome. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor may provide
Some assistance with stocking levels and warnings. Glad to read the cycle is in progress. Can I recommend the API master test kit to get ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. API also have the GH and KH test kit in one pack which will make checking easy.
Not being rude, but is this your first tank? Reading up on the frog it says to quarantine for three months. The diet may cause issues with the shrimp. And with sensitivity to ammonia nitrite and nitrate may cause grief at the end of the quarantine period.
But all the same it sounds like you are on the way to an epic tank.
Look forward to updates
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 04-17-2013 11:09 PM

Yes, the dwarf frog disease is bad. I don't know that first one needs to be quarantined, but each additional does as to not infect the others. It can take a little time for it to become apparent. If not quarantined, it can wipe out your frogs. I don't know of any meds or anything for it, so it's my understanding that it's just a matter of waiting to see if the frog gets sick and dies or not.

sean forrey 04-18-2013 08:46 AM

Thank you everyone so far for your support! I did more resherch and have ruled out the dojo loach because jasee's point was right and they grow to big, I don't forsee upgraiding this tank ether, I think when I get my tax returns I'm going to set up a whole new 20g long and a quarenteen tank for the frogs... ( cause I like them) ... they would have trouble competing for food and are more complicated than I antisipated I have learned (thanks titan for helping) and yes and no this is my first tank I desided to do the right way unlike all those tanks from like a year ago when I bout a tank did a poor cycle then thought a tiger oscar was a cute little guy and bought him..... I have the API master test kit and am gona buy the one for GH and KH once I get paid my tax returns... (aparantly taxes are my fish bonus lol) the shrimp's diet looks doable although I am gona read more about it after this! So basicaly I've ruled out the loach the frogs, rainbow shark, thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device