Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Please give me your opinions or suggestions for these tanks. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/please-give-me-your-opinions-suggestions-15551/)

thebigblueram 06-16-2008 12:21 AM

Please give me your opinions or suggestions for these tanks.

Okay, I have four tanks which I am currently working with in my home.

Tank 1: 26 gallon bowfront
I'd like to set this one up with kribensis cichlids, i already have a mated pair in the house so I was going to place them in there and, with no other tank mates, end up with babies.

Tank 2: 36/34(?) gallon hex
This tank is my community right now, housing the kribs mentioned above. I was planning on keeping this tank as a general show community... straightforward.

Tank 3: 2.5 gallon minitank - this was recently emptied of feeder guppies and I was thinking of setting it up with a pea puffer and an otto cat... how big do ottos get? I want one or two small and calm tank mates... what stays small?

Tank 4: 29 gallon long tank
This tank is the newest, I was considering placing my blood parrot in this tank because of the length.. what about placing 2 blue rams in with him?This tank will eventually be planted.

If you read this, thank you so much! Please give me any thoughts you might have.

Cody 06-16-2008 12:47 AM

The 26 Bow sounds good IMO. Just be sure to have enough territory for the babies you keep eventually. Maybe even add some "Target fish" on later down the road if the pair fights.

Hex: No need for explantion. :)

2.5: I would only add a DP here if you can provide it with enough hiding spots and/or places to explore so he wont get bored. You need a ton of plants, rocks, etc to prevent this, since these are very active fish. If you dont want to do that, try a betta, or go for something less over-rated, like Sparkling Gouramis, Dario Dario, or maybe a very small shoal of Boras Merah (that is from what ive read and seen from people's experience).

29: IMO, too small for a Blood Parrot. They can reach 8-10" long, but poop as much as a 15"+ fish. I wouldn't add one unless the tank is of at least 55G, if not 75G, with adequet filtration. But, you may be able to hold off untill you can get that big tank ( :) ) if your filtration is good. However, Rams would be good choices for the tank, but I am not sure as to with Blood Parrot.

thebigblueram 06-16-2008 12:54 AM

Thank you a ton! The pea puffer would be provided with adequate hiding places and "toys". The blood parrot is small right now although I understand he won't stay little, there is a 90gallon tank in the house where he would fit quite well.

:)

iamntbatman 06-16-2008 02:18 AM

I absolutely recommend some other sort of fish to put into the krib tank. I have a breeding pair of kribs myself and have done a great deal of research into them. I can say one thing with certainty: you have less problems between your parents if there are other fish in the tank that the kribs see as threats to their fry. The trick here is to add some target fish that the kribs will stay together in order to chase away but will also not be an actual threat to the fry. I discourage bottom dwellers (like cories) because my cories seem...well, pretty dim. They'll wander too close to the kribs and their fry, get attacked, ignore it and keep on truckin'. The kribs will keep attacking until finally the cory gets the message. Then, the cory proceeds to run head-long into the pile of fry. I started with at least 50 fry, and now only have about half that number. The way I've seen cories wreck into a pile of blackworms...well, I wouldn't be surprised if they snagged a few fry now and then.

You also want to avoid fish that will fight back. Sometimes my dwarf gouramis in the same tank decide not to move when the kribs want them to. The gouramis lose the fights. I also have zebra danios in the tank, but they generally stay at the higher levels and the kribs entirely ignore them.

I think your best bet would be fast-moving fish that stay in the middle levels, like some sort of barb, tetra or rasbora. They should make perfect candidates: they'll swim close enough to the substrate-hugging fry to be seen as a threat, are too small to actually be a threat, and are quick enough to not get beat on.

Every report I've read where people kept their breeding kribs alone in a tank with their fry eventually led to one of the parents turning on the other, so I can't recommend the target fish enough.

Sounds like you're on the right track with your other tanks though. Good luck!

thebigblueram 06-16-2008 11:36 PM

Thank you for your advice on target fish, I'd never heard that before but it makes quite a load of sense. I've got a few rasboras that were living in that tank up until yesterday so I'm sure they'll work out fine.
I just found out that my female krib died, I don't know what happened and I can't find her body so I'm assuming she's gone. I've got to find a girlfriend for my boy though, he is an absolutely gorgeous male.

Flashygrrl 06-17-2008 06:10 AM

Keep looking, the decaying body could seriously screw up your parameters if she is indeed dead.

iamntbatman 06-17-2008 03:41 PM

She could also be hiding somewhere and guarding some eggs.

shortymet55 06-30-2008 10:54 PM

Ive never owned a krib, but I read if you have a cave or two, then a missing female Krib sometimes shows up a week later with babies.