Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   New sword propogation help plz (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-sword-propogation-help-plz-154921/)

MoneyMitch 04-16-2013 06:53 PM

New sword propogation help plz

so I got a deal at my LFS today, they were having a big sale on all their mother/show plants today. I was able to pick up a 24' amazon sword... it has like 3 strands of runners on it.. I know there is a acclimation period with new plants. but my question is should I snip the sister plants off yet or how long should I wait?

MoneyMitch 04-16-2013 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic of the plant

Boredomb 04-16-2013 08:46 PM

Generally you want make sure there is sufficient amount of leaves and roots for the plantlets to support themselves. Looking at the pic it looks like there are enough leaved but what at the roots? I can't really see them too well.

MoneyMitch 04-16-2013 08:50 PM

theres some about 1/4 inch maximum.... I planted a few and left 2 of the inflorecents attached... I have pics in my journal

Boredomb 04-16-2013 11:40 PM

I would wait longer if that's all the roots they have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-17-2013 10:55 AM

Nice plant.

Once the adventitious plants form from the nodes on the inflorescence, they take up their nourishment from the water, not the parent plant. You can leave them, as suggested, until sufficient roots appear so they can be individually planted--and you will find there are two plants at every node, so you can separate them or leave them together as a "plant."

You can also cut the inflorescence off at the crown of the parent plant and leave it floating. I sometimes stick the cut end down behind a rock, to provide a stem of small plants which is handy in the corners of a tank. Sometimes I move the inflorescence to another tank. I find that the adventitious plants if left on the attached inflorescence tend to develop algae; I suspect this is partly due to the plantlets being closer to the light, but perhaps also because the light is of greater intensity than the plant's nutrient needs can balance.

You can also break off the adventitious plants and leave them floating. In the main tank, algae again frequently attacks them, which is less of an issue if they are planted to moved to a smaller tank.

Byron.

equatics 04-17-2013 08:56 PM

My sword (E. osiris, I think) sort of grew another small plant as an outgrowth from the main plant. This is the first I've seen of a Sword growing runners.

btw, tomorrow is a year since I started my tank and I feel good about that even though I've had some problems.