Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Depressed Goldfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/depressed-goldfish-15472/)

kender42 06-13-2008 02:06 PM

Depressed Goldfish

I just got two crowntail goldfish yesterday and added them to my recently emptied tank. (i used to have a betta but he died...) I know it's a small tank and I know that's cruel but it's the only tank I've got and my sister who gave it to me kept goldfish and black moors in there so I figured I was ok. But I was wondering how I could cheer up one of my fish. He is sulking in the corner of the tank and not eating. My other fish is pretty happy although he is kind of a spaz. But Spot won't leave the corner. (my mom named him not me) Toothbrush Mach 2 was even trying to get him out of the corner but to no avail... It makes me sad to look at him. (long story on Toothbrush's name) I just want to know if there's anything I could do. Any help? These are my first goldfish so I'm really a noob. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

steverothery 06-13-2008 04:03 PM

Dude to figure it out whats the stats - tank size, filtration how many fish in total? Spec us up! 8)

kender42 06-13-2008 04:24 PM

Ok, don't yell at me, it's I think a one and a half gallon, under gravel filter, no heater. Basic goldfish flakes, in case anyone wants to know. It's a kind of triangular tank. Just the two crowntails. Any more would be just too many for the tank. Also, I noticed when Spot is sulking his dorsal fin is compressed. I guess it's like when a dog's ears droop. He just swam up a little but he still doesn't look happy. I hope that's enough info. Oh one more thing, I have some betta water conditioner from when I had a betta, Is it alright to use that to condition the water?

okiemavis 06-13-2008 04:58 PM

I know this is going to sound extreme, but your goldfish need a new home. Goldfish are very, very messy, grow to reach 24 inches and should live 15+ years. There's no way a 1 1/2 gallon home would ever work for even one. If you check your ammonia levels right now you'll find they are quite high, which is why neither of them seem to be doing ok. Ammonia burns their fins and gills and will eventually kill them.

You have two options:
1) acquire a 75+ gallon tank right away or
2) return the goldfish, get your water and tank cleaned up and then add something more suitable

Flashygrrl 06-13-2008 06:07 PM

It should be added in that not much is really suitable for a 1 1/2 gallon tank...they usually sell them because they know fish die quicker in them so then more fish get bought. Usually the only thing that will fit in there is a couple of cherry shrimp and that's only if they don't breed.

herefishy 06-13-2008 06:11 PM

Maybe we need a forum fish psychologist. I'd like to see the couch they use.

willow 06-13-2008 06:11 PM

clamped fins is not a good sign at all,
the poblem will be the water quality,in order to help your fish
a larger tank is needed,if this is not possible then the kindest thing would be to return them to the shop.

kender42 06-13-2008 06:24 PM

Well he seems to be keeping his dorsal fin up now but I think he dinged his left side fin because he's not using it. It doesn't surprise me that you all are on my case for having a small tank. They were on the betta forum too. I also am not surprised that he's got a dinged fin because the pet store person wasn't very gentle but she was in a hurry because there were lots of customers. I think he'll be okay as long as I don't try to move him.

Question: He seems to have some sort of white residue on his back fin (which he did have at the pet store so don't think it was my fault) does he have some sort of fishy disease?

okiemavis 06-13-2008 06:53 PM

That could be a sign of a fungus, or a sign of poor water quality. What are your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates?

I'm afraid that any treatment administered in that tank would probably do more harm than good, as medicine generally requires pristine water quality.

People aren't trying to be on your case, we're all very understanding of the fact that the fish store employees misinformed you and sold you a fish that will surely not survive. However, now that you are more educated it's up to you to take proper care of this fish. In these conditions he will not be okay unless you move him. Ammonia is highly corrosive and damages cells on contact- and he is literally swimming in the stuff.

We would *really* like to help you, and will support you all we can in helping you set up a proper home for your fish.

Flashygrrl 06-13-2008 08:02 PM

No harm intended and we certainly don't want to make you feel dumb because there's nobody in here that didn't have to learn this stuff too (well, I dunno about herefishy sometimes). We just really want to help you learn the correct things instead of feeding you BS like the petstores can, and we really want to help your fish.