Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water Temp.!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-temp-15444/)

KarlS 06-12-2008 05:54 PM

Water Temp.!!

Hi Everyone it's been a while.

I Recently filled my 150 Gal. I Let it run for a week and heated it up to a nice 27 degrees Celcius ( 80.6 ferenheit) and all was well So i added my 1st batch of tetras (serpae longfin tetra). But over the week it's slowly droped down to 24 (75.2). I have a 300 watt (whale) heater and put it to 26 when the water temperature hit 25 (77 ferenheit) and it still droped another degree, and it seems to be slowly dipping into the 23 range. My biggest worry right now is that form what I've been reading below 24 is bad for my tetras.

My basement is 22 (71.6 ferenheit) right now. The tank is 6 ft long 18 inches wide and about 26-30 inches high. Should I just turn up the temperature to 28-29 degrees (82-84 ferenheit) or should I pourchase a second heater. The max temp for the heater i have is 30 (86 ferenheit) degrees if it helps.

P.s. I am sure it's not broken because it does glows red when i turn the dial up nice and high to make sure that it still works..

What should I do??

Karl

okiemavis 06-12-2008 07:42 PM

Your heater needs some adjustment to begin with, it's perfectly normal for it not to be heating at exactly what you set it to. Turn the heater up until the light turns on, then leave it and monitor the temp. If needed, repeat. Just make sure you only turn it up right until the light turns on so you don't fry your fish (or boil!).

Edit: I forgot to mention before, just did the math, but generally you want 5 watts per gallon when it comes to heaters. There's a lot more leeway with larger tanks as they retain heat better tho, so you're not that underpowered right now. Most heaters are rated to heat in a room temperature of 72 degrees (about 22 Celsius), so your heater might be working overtime right now. If the light is on constantly that's an indication that you need more heaters. You could add another 300 watt heater which should be enough, or you could add an in-line heater to your canister filter (if you have one) which would mean you wouldn't be adding further clutter to your tank.

Flashygrrl 06-12-2008 07:45 PM

Where do you have the heater located in the tank and also where do you have the filter output(s)? If the heater is on the other side of the tank and you have the thermometer on the side with the output it's very possible that one side is warmer than the other, in which you simply move the heater and if possible increase the water flow (since you want circulation to be good anyways). Having second heater is not a bad idea anyways in case the first one fails.

KarlS 07-04-2008 08:48 AM

Thanks for the help :)

Sorry it took so long to reply been very busy with the new house.. So I've been playing with the temp and I found that it does indeed stay within about 5 degrees of my room temp, so all I need to do is make small adjustments to the heater every few days. So other then that my tank seems to be comming along very nice. I now have 12 serpae tetras, 6 congo tetras, 2 clown loaches (about 3 inches) , and one nice sized common pleco (about 10-12 inches). I had a choise between a Royal
Pleco and him but found the common pleco much nicer looking. That and he was 1/3 of the price.

So hopefully I'll be able to get some more fish in there soon but I am not sure what fishes would be a good addition to what I already have. Also I have some pics up soon to show my progress.

On a side note I was reading on the fish profile that my pleco might have to be fed vegetable matter. What vegetables would these be. ??

KarlS 07-04-2008 09:06 AM

ohh one more thing,..Okiemavis I think my heater might indeed be working overtime so I will pick another one up very soon... Flashygrrl I moved my heater to the center in between both outflows and really seemed to help, If i do add another heater should I put them side by side or spread them out to each side of the tank??.

thank you again...

okiemavis 07-04-2008 09:45 AM

I like to spread mine out a bit, one on either side of the filter. Although personally, in your situation, I'd go for an in-line heater. Less clutter in the tank :D

KarlS 07-04-2008 10:16 AM

I don't think I've seen an inline heater before, time to google.. :)

okiemavis 07-05-2008 10:08 AM

Hehe...now you'll end up wandering around an online fish store and find another 10 things you want! Or at least that's what I'd do.

You attach an in-line heater to one of the tubes to/from your canister filter. It heats the water before it's returned to the tank. It means it's very evenly heated and it also won't take up space in your tank.

KarlS 07-08-2008 11:12 AM

Sound slike a great investment. I'll have to look into buting one.

Thanks for the info :)