Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-153761/)

casssch 04-15-2013 11:03 AM

Stocking?

1 Attachment(s)
So now that our tank is on the up, and we have some survivors (unknowingly did a fish-in cycle), we have discovered we have a male-female pair of platys. The discovery came with a single fry (I assume there were more, but it's the survivor). Mama, daddy, and baby are all that's in our 20 gallon tank now. It looks like a ghost town in there. The way I see it, we have 2 possible choices. The first one being leave the tank alone and just let the platies populate it. The other choice would be adding in a small school of something else.

Byron 04-15-2013 11:43 AM

One problem with livebearers is that fry will appear regularly, and lots of them, and many will survive. This can very quickly overwhelm the 20g tank. For info on livebearers reproducing, see the profile, click on the shaded name Platy.

Byron.

casssch 04-15-2013 01:33 PM

Thank you for the link. The person we got the fish from, upon hearing we had a fry, was quick to tell us he'd buy any fry we didn't want. I figured if we stayed with just platies, 10 would be the max we'd keep, though that might even be too many. The tank just looks so lonely right now.

Byron 04-15-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casssch (Post 1762097)
Thank you for the link. The person we got the fish from, upon hearing we had a fry, was quick to tell us he'd buy any fry we didn't want. I figured if we stayed with just platies, 10 would be the max we'd keep, though that might even be too many. The tank just looks so lonely right now.

Ten platy is fine, if you keep up with weekly partial water changes, and have live plants esp floating helps a lot.

Just be aware that when you go to this person with 60 fry every 5-6 weeks, how many will he continue to buy? Are you prepared to destroy them once they reach such numbers?

Having just males solves this problem. Perhaps they would allow you to return the female for males, of several colours?

Byron.

MoneyMitch 04-15-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1763401)
Ten platy is fine, if you keep up with weekly partial water changes, and have live plants esp floating helps a lot.

Just be aware that when you go to this person with 60 fry every 5-6 weeks, how many will he continue to buy? Are you prepared to destroy them once they reach such numbers?

Having just males solves this problem. Perhaps they would allow you to return the female for males, of several colours?

Byron.

sorry but lol at your choice of wording there :P

jentralala 04-15-2013 07:18 PM

Are you sure you have a male and a female? Check the fins on the bottom of their bodies, and post close ups of both if you can. You can find comparison pictures online. You may very well have two females, as the females can retain sperm from previous matings for several weeks, if not months.

The one to the left of the picture is definitely a female, but I can't see for sure the fins on the other.

casssch 04-15-2013 07:25 PM

I didn't know they could retain the sperm for months. That would make more sense then, as based on what I find online, they're both female. As for the question on if I'd be comfortable destroying them, the person wants to buy extra fry as live food for his bigger fish, so he'll keep wanting them.