Tropical Fish Keeping banner

help id my plants please

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  beetlebz 
#1 ·
sooo ive got a few plants kickin around, and have not come across them in my travels, was wondering if you guys could help me pick out some names for these faces. keep in mind, I just randomly buy what looks neat some of the time... if it isnt meant to be submersed I move it to my terrarium for my toads so thats why im careless with my research... every plant has a good home. ;)

first off the tree plant (as I call it) zoomed out so you can see the size, this is a 10g tank

and another shot with more detail

this plant is the "stem" plant as I call it, ive been told its red ludwigia but I have my doubts.

and this is the same plant, that hitchhiked on another plant I bought (this one has no red on it though)

and the last bunch, two different shots of the same "bush". Its not growing fast or spreading much if at all but its healthy and its been there for a couple months.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well your first plant isn't a fully aquatic plant at all, I would suggest you remove them before they start dieing off. The second definatly isn't red ludwigia, not sure WHAT it is but it does fine in my tank, though, they lost all red coloring. Not a clue on the third one though.

#3 ·
I can't ID the first one either, but it looks to me like it's not actually an aquatic plant. Some sort of Hosta is actually what it looks like, but that's not even amphibious, so I'm probably wrong. Or Acorus.

The second one I'd say *is* ludwigia repens (aka red). Looks just like the stuff I have in my tank. The leaves will only turn completely red if you have very high lighting.

The third I can't ID either. Often aquatic plants are grown emersed and the leaf structure is very different. If no one else can ID it, I'd recommend waiting for new growth and seeing what that looks like.

#4 ·
the first one looks ALOT like hosta, actually. BUT its been just fine in my tank so far, and a friend of mine got hers in a bundle of plants with some red ludwigia and an amazon sword, i dont remember from where, and hers have been going for 6 or 7 months just fine <Shrug> i even have new growth on them. Like I said, if it starts turning sickly Ill move it to the terrarium.

I plan on upgrading my lighting soon, so ill let you guys know how the ludwigia turns out. the leaf structure looks almost perfectly identical to the plastic red ludwigia plant thats right next to it, so im sure you guys are right.

as for the 3rd one, it really hasnt spread or had any new growth, but on the other hand its gotta be 3-4 months old and no decay yet. It might also have to go into the terrarium but for now it seems fine.

thanks for the input gang :)

#6 ·
f4a, I love you man. <sniffle> I mean that.

I just looked up Dracaena sanderiana through google, that stuff RULES! I think im going to start a big pot of it and try to have fun shaping it. looks like fun :D

as for the 3rd one, i wanna point out that it looks EXACTLY like the ludwigia, only with no red. and if that wasnt enough, the new growth on it even looks dead ringer like the ludwigia. Ill try to take some better pics of it.

as for the hedge, I dont think it would hold itself up out of water, but i think im going to try it in my terrarium anyway. worst case it dies and I go back to the lfs for plants lol[/u]

#7 ·
Bacopa and Ludwigia can look a lot alike depending on conditions they are in. If lighting is low then they will look a lot more alike than if they have a lot of light and ferts. Only time will tell if they are the same plant or not but the fact that the 3rd one has no coloration and that they likely come from the same supplier I think they will be different, maybe just different species of Ludwigia or could be bacopa or possible some other similar stem plant.

#8 ·
pulled the ludwigia apart today, got like 6 awesome stems out of it. spread them out and they all look great! pulled the bamboo things out of my 10g, but they are destined for a planter.

as for the "green hedge", i took it out and planted it in a really moist section of my terrarium and it almost immediately it curled up and dang near died :( i put it back in my 29g tank it started uncurling a bit, hopefully it will survive! ill let you all know how i make out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.