Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is it cycled? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycled-15364/)

etres 06-09-2008 09:31 PM

Is it cycled?

This is not my first aquarium set up, but I am currently moving only 2 5"Siamese Algae eaters back into my 40 gal after a move. I may have missed the ammonia and nitrite spike. Here is my water tonight.
Nitrate 5. Was 0 couple of days ago.
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
PH 8
Does it sound like it is cycled? I used gravel and a plant from established tank about 3 weeks ago to set it up.
I have had these SAE's for almost 7 years thru 3 moves and don't want to lose them now!
Once I make the transfer, can you suggest some nice fish that would go in with them in a 40 gal tall? I had black skirt tetras with them for several years. The SAE's are huge, so it can't be anything really small or it might be dinner......

jeaninel 06-10-2008 02:46 AM

Hi and welcome to fish forum.

Did you do a fishless cycle or are the SAE's in there now? If the ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 with the fish in there it certainly sounds like it's cycled but I would keep a close eye on it.

Quote:

can you suggest some nice fish that would go in with them in a 40 gal tall?
How about an angel fish?

etres 06-10-2008 03:36 PM

No, I have not moved them yet. I just took some gravel and a silk plant from the established tank when I set this one up.
I will watch it for a couple more days before I move them.
Thanks

jeaninel 06-10-2008 04:22 PM

So there was nothing in the tank for 3 weeks? You need an ammonia source to start the cycling process...either fish or ammonia drops or you could use fish food or a prawn. If there's nothing in the tank producing ammonia whatever bacteria was in the seeded gravel may be gone now. So chances are your tank hasn't even started cycling yet.

etres 06-10-2008 05:41 PM

I am not the type that can do that with fish. How do I do it with fish food?

Flashygrrl 06-10-2008 08:18 PM

Drop in a few flakes every few days and let it rot :)

athlete3344 06-10-2008 10:10 PM

That or go buy a frozen shrimp from walmart or your LFS, its been about 2 1/2 weeks since Ive started cycling my 55gal with 2 frozen prawns and Im starting to get a reading of about 10ppm for Nitrates. I figure another 1 1/2 to 2 weeks before my tank is finished.

etres 06-10-2008 10:35 PM

Thanks for the tip. Now to my second part. What is a good schooling fish I can put with them? Again, they are about 5", true SAE's. In the tall 40 gal I want something that is interesting to watch and that these guys won't eat.

Purple7 06-16-2008 09:26 PM

a full grown angel fish is 10 inches tall and 6 inches wide and are interesting schooling fish. I use to keep two with am algae eater but i don't remember what kind it was.

aquakid 06-22-2008 10:39 AM

Re: Is it cycled?

wait a while for the ammonia and add a few zebra danios to the tank