Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Danios- playing or torturing each other?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/danios-playing-torturing-each-other-15354/)

aunt kymmie 06-09-2008 03:22 PM

Danios- playing or torturing each other??

I have two zebra danios (1 1/2") in a 10 gal tank. I also have a pictus/pleco & upside down cat. I know it's way too many fish (the pictus/pleco & upside down are just under two inches each) but I have a 100gal cycling for them, it's just not ready for them yet.

I purchased the danios with the intent that they would be the cycling fish. I've had them for approx. two weeks. I noticed that one of them was beginning to look like it was about to explode. I went and read up on them and looked at images of Danios that were full of eggs.
I'm convinced that mine was.

Just two days ago her belly was back to normal and at the same time they have started chasing each other around like crazy. They take turns being the aggressor. It's non-stop. The only relief they give each other is at night once the tank lights go off.

What's going on with these two??

I'm not sure that just two will be enough to cycle a 100 gal.
How many should I have total?
Since there's only two (and not 3 or more) is this why they are going off on each other??

Thanks in advance for your help! Kym

hanks- Kym

iamntbatman 06-09-2008 03:33 PM

My danios do that pretty much constantly. I have five of them, so it's not your small numbers that are responsible. I've always been told that these are schooling fish that should be kept in larger groups. The only time they school nicely, though, is when they're stressed out, such as during major water changes or if I move them to a new aquarium. Otherwise, they chase each other around all day, nonstop. It seems like a game of tag to me, with no particular fish or sex getting chased more than the others. I've also never noticed any injuries with my fish and even when others in the tanks have gotten sick, the danios are always fine so I assume they're healthy and that the chasing doesn't harm their immune systems. I think yours are probably fine, but I would think about adding maybe three more danios. Even if they don't school, they seem to have more fun when there are more people to play tag with.

aunt kymmie 06-09-2008 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know they are playing "tag" rather than stressing out.

How many danios do you think I need for recycling my 100 gal?
What would be the standard? I'll purchase whatever amount is best.

1077 06-10-2008 04:45 AM

:( I am confused . You stated that you have a 100 gal. cycling but that it is not ready for danios yet you wish to know how many to use for cycling? Are you using fish for cycling? If so 100 gal. will not cycle without them. Or are you doing fishless cycle? If you are going to use fish ,I would think six danios would be OK.

Flashygrrl 06-10-2008 05:02 AM

If you attempt to put anything into the middle of a cycle the toxicity of either the ammonia or nitrite spike will probably harm even the danios.

cosmiccow 06-10-2008 07:20 AM

I had a few zebras in a community tank that were doing the same thing. It did not appear that they were hurting the other fish, but I think it was stressing them out. Last week I got fed up with their shananigins and I caught them and put them in one of my African cichlid tanks. They were not in the tank 20 seconds when one of the zebras started chasing a mbuna, she turned around and ate him. I assume he was delicious!
The zebras were originally bought to help the tank cycle.
By the way, danios are one of my specialities and I don't normally feed my fish to other fish, but sometimes enough is enough!

aunt kymmie 06-24-2008 01:19 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I have a 100 gal. that I'm going to start cycling. I haven't even filled it with water yet!

Hopefully on Wednesday I will do this. At that time how many danios should I put in? The current tank I cycled with two danios (10 gal) and they both did great and are healthy & happy.

Next time I will try to be more specific!
Thanks- Kym