Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   new tank setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-tank-setup-15343/)

ollecram 06-08-2008 11:16 PM

new tank setup

i just got a new tank and I'm wondering what fish to put in it. i was thinking of putting one male betta, 6 red wagtail platys (4 females and 2 males). and then maybe 4 mickey mouse plays (3 female and 1 male). would these fish all be compatible with each other. im also hoping to have some fry so i set up a thick forest in the corner of my tank. :D you think these would be too many fish? thanks
-ollecram

southafrica1001 06-09-2008 07:59 AM

hey. what is the size of the tank first of all? the betta and platys should be ok but it depends on their personality. i keep a betta with live bearers and he is fine however he does chase the livebeares but it is more of a territorial thing and no one gets hurt. good luck :D

It'sJames 06-09-2008 05:51 PM

My platies have always done well with my bettas and vice versa. That's a lot of livebearers though. With that many prolific breeders, you're likely to have more fry than you can handle, especially if you set up a densly planted corner for fry to hide. How large is the tank?

ollecram 06-09-2008 07:24 PM

i decided im just gonna get the one male betta and then the 6 wagtail platys. i have a 20 long aquarium. how many fish would be the max that i should put in there? what are some other nice fish that i might be able to put in instead of the mickey mouse platys if i want some more fish later on?

It'sJames 06-09-2008 11:13 PM

Well, assuming the livebearers don't overpopulate your tank, bottom dwellers like cories would be nice. Or maybe some kind of tetra - they tend to have very light bioloads. Cardinal tetras look really cool against my sunburst & red coral platies. Maybe even some kind of dwarf cichlid...

ollecram 06-10-2008 08:02 AM

for the cory, do they need to have really smooth floor? cuz i heard that it can bother their whiskers. im not sure if my gravel would be good for that. its not rough, but i dont think its that smooth either. would a shrimp do well in my tank?

ollecram 06-10-2008 08:24 AM

how about this combo?
6 red wag platys (4 female 2 male)
4 tiger barbs
and maybe one dwarf gourami? can they all live in the same water parameters and everything? (aggressiveness issues?)
-ollecram

1077 06-10-2008 08:40 AM

Tiger barbs and gourami's proably not a good fit. Tigers are relentless fin nippers for the most part. There are always exceptions .

ollecram 06-10-2008 08:52 AM

but the platys and the tigers are ok together? or just the gouramis and the platys right?

1077 06-10-2008 09:08 AM

Tiger Barbs can and many times will nip the fins of any fish slower than them. This doesn't leave many fish to choose from. I would steer you away from the Tiger barb, Platys and gourami could work. Maybe one gourami. They can be agressive if you end up with a couple males which would in my view be probable.