Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I think my betta is sick! Please help!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Meatpuppet 
#1 ·
I have a wonderful Betta named Horatio. I have had him for around 6 months, but of course I don't know how old he was when I got him from the store. Originally, he had the smallest tank from the store, but now I have upgraded him to another one. (although it is still not 2.5 gallons...I am a college student, so space is imperative). In his new tank, he had two trees. He seemed fine, but then he started eating less and hanging at the top. Also, his front two fins have gotten brown and his fins are shredding (I removed the trees after doing a pantyhose test I found online...I will probably put a cave or something else in). I thoroughly clean his tank once a week, although I do not have a heater (I need to get one). He also used to dig at the rocks and lie between the trees and the rocks, but he doesn't do either of those anymore (before I removed the trees). I feed him flakes, but I am going to start feeding him pellets.

#3 ·
I can't get a pic right now because my camera isn't doing the fish justice, and I can't find the cords to hook my camera up. But, he is a dark blueish purple color, and I forgot to tell you that the other fins are getting brown on the bottom.

As far as his water goes, I don't have a filter. But I do use tap water w/ water conditioner: Jungle Start Right with Allantoin. I use my hand to test temp, but I am going to try and get a heater and thermometer, so that his water is warm.

#5 ·
It sounds like that's what it is. Get Bettafix. It's pretty cheap and, in my opinion, does wonders for fin rot.

#7 ·
how often do you change the water? how much?
if you have a small tank there there's a chance the parameters wont be so good. bcuz small tanks stack up ammonia like crazy.

for fin rot you just have to make sure the water params are good by keeping up with the water changes. somtimes no meds are needed in order for the fins to grow back.

good luck with your betta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.