Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55 gal. what cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55-gal-what-cichlids-1532/)

inkinmyskin 11-27-2006 03:10 AM

55 gal. what cichlids

Hey, I'm new at this...so here goes. I'm buying a 55 gal. tank and want to stock it with new world cichlids. Here is a list of cichlids that I have found to be very hardy and need to know if they will go well together. I understand that each fish has it's own temperment, and can be anywhere from placid to crazy.

1. Firemouth (Thorichthys Meeki)

2. Rainbow (Herotilapia multispinosa)

3. Black convict (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus)

4. Festivum (Cichlasoma festivum)

5. Elliot’s Cichlid (Thorichthys ellioti)

6. Salvini (Nandopsis salvini)

7. Green Terror (Aequidens rivulatus)

I do not want breeding so I was thinking one of each. Could this work or would it fail, that is the question that I'm posing to you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

Lupin 11-27-2006 03:18 AM

Hi and welcome aboard, inkinmyskin.:wave:

For a 55 gallons, it's difficult to sort out your options. Those cichlids are quite aggressive except the rainbow cichlids. Firemouths can grow to 10 cm. A pair will be fine in a 55 gallons. I can't figure how you're going to choose which fish.:crazy: You'll have to keep only one green terror and no other fish will have to be keep as GTs are quite belligerent.

Daz 11-27-2006 03:33 AM

As far as Cics go the list contains mildly tempered fish. Most cics will get along fine if they have the room and do not get randy. I would be tempted with the Sal and the GT, or the rainbows and the FMs. Elliots are mild mannered so if you want a peacefull 55g go for them and the Festivum.

flatcam1 11-27-2006 04:31 AM

How about red forest jewel cichlids?

they grow small and are very pretty!
hope this helps!

inkinmyskin 11-27-2006 05:24 PM

Out of all the websites that I posted this at, this site gave me the best feed back. I have settled on 1 firemouth, 1 convict, 1 rainbow and, 1 Gypsy King Tiger Pleco (L-66). Thak you again for all your help. :thankyou:

Daz 11-27-2006 05:31 PM

Watch the Con...

jinithith2 11-27-2006 08:06 PM

hey I would get a pink bellied con and a black bellied con... :twisted: jk

Daz 11-28-2006 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinithith2

You mean male and female ? that errr maybe just asking for trouble.

bettababy 11-28-2006 03:46 AM

I would eliminate the convict, for sure. It won't take long for it to mature and tear the other fish apart.
Considering their need for territory and aggression levels, 2 of those fish and the pleco will fill that tank. More than 2 and I'd be planning a much larger tank within the first 6 - 8 months. When crowded, or not finding enough territory for themselves, even the most mild mannered of the cichlids will get nasty and aggressive towards each other. Remember, a 55 gallon tank isn't very wide, and when full grown these fish will have problems turning around in there.
Have you considered any of the dwarf cichlids? You can get a lot of color, the same kinds of aggression levels as your mild mannered larger cichlids, and room for more fish because they stay much smaller.

jinithith2 11-28-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlil
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinithith2

You mean male and female ? that errr maybe just asking for trouble.

yes lol I was joking :D
just a little prank. he won't know what hit him :lol: