Massively Pregnant or Sick or Both?
--MY FISH IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE!
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 30
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? Fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? 1 Month
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) 4 neon tetras, 2 small catfish, 3 guppies, 3 sunset coral dwarf platys, 2 small unknown species (like neon tetras)
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? Yes
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 80 F
7. What make/model filter are you using? Penguin 285?
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? No
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Yes
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? 1 week...25-30%
11. How often do you perform water changes? weekly
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? 2-3 times/day...flakes
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? flourescent...12 hours/day
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? fish that looks overly pregnant
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. pH = 7.2, Ammonia = 0, I just realized reading here that I should start testing Nitrite and Nitrate :-(
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? Liquid...forget brand...it's at home...it was a well known brand.
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? bought another sunset choral dwarf platy a week ago. I always pick the healthy fish at the store and they all seem healthy in my tank.
--Why I'm Here...
Here is my post from the fresh water breeding section that someone suggested I post Here:
Hello. We started our fish tank (30 Gal Hex) about a month ago and my daughter picked out some fish including (what we thought was) a pregnant Sunset Coral Dwarf Platy. Well...she's been growing for a month to the point where she looks like she's about to explode We're hoping she's OK. Can you tell by the picture if she is just about to have babies or if she has some problem? I am only concerned because it seems like it's been longer than the mentioned 28 days for their cycle. She is acting completely healthy and her rear has been more white for over a week.
Thank you, BabyFry
Oooo... Yuck... Now I'm a betta person and with the scales sticking out like a pine cone like that I would say dropsy but I'm not sure if it affects Sunset Coral Dwarf Platys or not.
Okay I just read this article and it may help!
She died a couple days after this post. It was odd that she showed no behavioral signs of being sick.
Thanks for your help.
aww that's sad,sorry for your loss. :(
umm just wanted to say that i would lessen the amount of light to
8 hours a day,and to drop the feeding to once a day too.
water changes and gravel vac are impotant.
if the tank has been up and running for a month,how did you cycle
in the begining ?
i hope you don't mind my nosieness.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2