Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Bulk root tabs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/bulk-root-tabs-152625/)

dave56 04-14-2013 09:04 AM

Bulk root tabs

Anyone know of a source for buying root tabs in bulk amounts. The prepackaged are too expensive. My Swords, and Anubias are big eaters:lol:

ZivaD 04-14-2013 09:16 AM

There are a lot of DIY "recipes" online.

JDM 04-14-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZivaD (Post 1748897)
There are a lot of DIY "recipes" online.

Big eaters? Those tabs (Seachem product anyway) last 3 months due to them dissolving at that rate. Of course if your tank is full and you are just plain using that many every 3 months....

BTW, this begs for a picture as you don't have one in your tank profile.... I'd love to see these hungry plants.

I just realized that you said Anubias. Those aren't substrate rooted and won't benefit from tabs at all. Perhaps you are just overusing them. One tab for about a 4-6" diameter area should suffice.

Jeff.

dave56 04-14-2013 09:34 AM

The Anubias have put roots into the substrate!!

JDM 04-14-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave56 (Post 1749009)
The Anubias have put roots into the substrate!!

Perhaps, but they would do just as well with those roots attached to a rock or piece of wood or even floating as they are not substrate feeders even if the roots are in the substrate. Tabs are wasted on them.

Jeff.

MoneyMitch 04-14-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1749065)
Perhaps, but they would do just as well with those roots attached to a rock or piece of wood or even floating as they are not substrate feeders even if the roots are in the substrate. Tabs are wasted on them.

Jeff.

+1

Byron 04-14-2013 11:59 AM

We will need to know the complete picture to be able to pin this down more; for instance, are you dosing any liquid fertilizer? This is essential as aquatic plants take up some nutrients solely via the leaves so substrate tabs are not sufficient.

The API tabs have not had good reviews from members who have tried them here, but those with Seachem's Flourish Tabs report good results (myself included). One tab next to a large sword, replaced every 3 months, is all you need along with the liquid and sufficient light to balance. I buy these online in the 40-tab package which is considerably less cost. But DIY is another option, though you may not need so much.

Anubias is a slow growing plant, so nutrient uptake is very minimal. The liquid alone will suffice this plant. I have grown swords with just lioquid, twice weekly, though they do fare better (bit faster growth, and more frequent inflorescenc es) with a substrate tab plus once weekly liquid.

Byron.

dave56 04-14-2013 07:11 PM

The tank is a 125, small diameter gravel. High light, 312watts T-5 HO 6500K PAR is 100 at substrate. Pressurized co2, diffused through 3 powerheads, both ends, and one in the middle. Fertilizing with GLA pro ferts. Every other day Lights are on for 6hrs. per day. I use the root tabs on the Swords, and anubias. I was under the impression that the Anubias feed through the roots once the grew into the substrate, as well as through the leaves. The Swords seem to use the tabs up fairly quick. I can tell when another tab is needed, as the Sword starts to lose some of the darkness in the leaves, and new leaves slow down on growth. You learn something new everday. The tank has only been planted a few months. It was previously an African Cichlid tank. It is improving as time goes on. Guess if I can buy the tabs in a 40 count pack, that wouldn't be to bad!! Thanks for all the help, and input. I appreciate it.:-)

MoneyMitch 04-14-2013 07:14 PM

ebay is your friend :P

dave56 04-14-2013 07:22 PM

That's for sure. That's where I bought my new lights. MUCH cheaper than other sites>>