Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   sick betta? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/sick-betta-15259/)

Meli1984 06-04-2008 11:03 PM

sick betta?

i have had my betta for abt 5 months now... i don't have him in a tank (i know, the horrors!!) but i do have him in a big bowl. He's always been a really happy fish, likes to have his water changed every 2 days... would actually freak out in the direction of the food container until i fed him nad made huge bubble nests all the time.... but for the past few weeks, no nests and i have tried three types of food, he just won't eat... once in a while he will swim around fast but tonight he has his fins pressed together and keeps floating toward the top.. he tries to swim and has some trouble.. how can you tell if they are just depressed or if i should help him out in case he is suffering? i love my fish, i don't want him gone but i don't want him hurting either.

Shortie55505 06-04-2008 11:37 PM

I'm new to the site and don't know a whole lot but mabe i can help. do you have a filter? a heater?

Meli1984 06-04-2008 11:39 PM

no... i didn't know when i bought him that they needed all of that... but like i said, he has been happy and healthy for about 5 months, his water is never too cold etc... and i change it all the time.. i don't know why he suddenly changed.. even his eyes look... paler? pale and small.. kinda sad

Shortie55505 06-04-2008 11:42 PM

is his whole body losing color?

Meli1984 06-04-2008 11:56 PM

yea he isn't nearly as vibrant as he was... and he is a lot smaller

Shortie55505 06-05-2008 12:01 AM

have you added anything new to the tank? are you doing full water changes? is he losing his scales? beside the lack of color does he have any weird coloration (like spots)?

Shortie55505 06-05-2008 12:10 AM

one of the other members said that when we buy the fish in the store's they are already 12months old. now i'm not sure about that but if thats correct that means your betta's 1 1/2 old in such a small tank they tend to only live 2-3 years. in my experiance mine only lived for 2. he displayed alot of the same symptoms yours is displaying. lack of color, no appetite, almost lethargic. like i said i'm no expert but it could be possible that he's just old. check the forum again when more members are on, they might be able to help you more than i have.
Good luck! i hope everything turns out fot the best.

Flashygrrl 06-05-2008 05:10 AM

Sometimes it takes longer but the lack of heater or filter can make them vulnerable to getting sick and stuff. I guess it's like if we didn't wear a sweatshirt in say, 60 degree weather. We can survive in it but after a day to day basis it will probably make us sick.

JMeenen 06-05-2008 07:50 AM

thats a good analogy Flashy..You will need a heater and some type of filtration system for your Betta to thrive..It really is not as easy as the petstore people lead you to believe..also you did not mention how often you were doing your water changes and how much water you changed out each time..also are you using a dechlorinater at water change time ..I would say that with a bowl you would need to do a 25-50% water change at least every other day..now that it is summer ( where I am) a heater is not so critical however as it nears Fall you may want to consider a better set up with a heater and filter. Good Luck and welcome to the Forum.

JMeenen 06-05-2008 07:51 AM

also you may check the "Sticky" notes for more detailed info on Betta care..it is very informative.