Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Please help! Some black spots on live plants! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/please-help-some-black-spots-live-152513/)

lewisarbucks 04-14-2013 12:55 AM

Please help! Some black spots on live plants!

Not an expert in plants, only got a few real ones. Today, one is showing black spots and marks on leaves. No idea what to do! 30 gallon freshwater aquarium with good lighting. I don't have fertiliser but I may need to buy some!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Rip 04-14-2013 01:47 AM

what type of plants have the black spots? some pics and more info would help. what is your "good lighting?"

the leaves on my anubias plants occasionally get black around the edges and on the leaf itself, and i've always assumed it was due to too much light for this low light plant. this is just the first thing that comes to my mind.

sometimes when cleaning the substrate, it can stir things up, and debris can settle on the leaves. if left on the leaves for a few days it can cause a stained appearance, or dark spots where the debris was or still is.

also, if they're newer plants, it could just be the older leaves dying off, adjusting to it's new surroundings.

SeaHorse 04-14-2013 06:24 AM

It could easily be the lack of fertilizer. I dose mine 2x a week sometimes. (when I remember). I always have the older established leaves die off after I put them into my tank but with the ferts I get lots of new growth and that usually starts with dark spots. What are the numbers/codes on your light bulbs?

lewisarbucks 04-14-2013 06:41 AM

I have the Juwel Rekord 800 tank with one Juwel 'day lite' and one Juwel 'warm lite'. Both are fluorescent, 18 watts. And spend around 9 or 10 hours per day switched on!

lewisarbucks 04-14-2013 06:42 AM

This site describes the lights in the tank,
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...-aquarium.html

ZivaD 04-14-2013 09:11 AM

What type of plants is it you have? Can you get pictures of your set up in general and the plants specifically to show the areas you are concerned with? How long have these plants been in your tank?

JDM 04-14-2013 09:40 AM

They look like they should be adequate for plants... Daylight and warm light bulbs. But I'm not well versed in fluorescents, I like LEDs.

Need to know the plant species, for example java fern typically have black spots on the leaves as this is part of how they reproduce. Pictures would be helpful.

Fertilizer can't hurt. Something like seachem's flourish comprehensive once a week is a good start and covers most of what you might need.

It would be good to know the hardness of the water as if it is too soft it can impact plant health... not sure it it would result in black spots though, more likely thin or clear looking leaves.

Jeff.

Byron 04-14-2013 11:51 AM

The light mentiuoned is fine for the tank (110 litre, or 29 gallon). We need to know the plant species as others have mentioned. A photo of the plant with the black would also help.

And, what is the GH of your source (tap) water? Some plant nutrients come from this, others from fish foods. Liquid fertilizers will usually help, but we need all this data to have the complete picture.

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping, by the way.:wave:

Byron.

lewisarbucks 04-14-2013 12:16 PM

My mobile doesn't seem to let me upload pics here, any advice?
Thanks

JDM 04-14-2013 12:19 PM

If you have a camera on the device, go ahead and try the attachment manager as your may be able to just take a picture and upload it directly. I do that with the iPad and it works well.

Jeff.