Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   5.5 gallon shrimp/betta (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/5-5-gallon-shrimp-betta-152457/)

dlambert 04-14-2013 12:52 AM

5.5 gallon shrimp/betta

2 Attachment(s)
Making a tank to stare at when I wake up every morning :) it is right next to my bed. Just started working in it Friday night, started by painting the back black. Haven't decided exactly what plants will go in, here's what I have so far tho. Heater and sponge filter are behind the rock.. Found it today, brushed/boiled it and siliconed it to some acrylic I had. The top is acrylic, probably going to end up switching to glass when the acrylic warps. Light is an LED from home depot.. Said 3k for spectrum. I'll post more pics when I get the substrate and water in :)

Chesh 04-14-2013 07:20 AM

Tanks next to beds are nice, and so are rocks! That is one very efficient way of keeping the tank hardware out of sight. :D

dlambert 04-27-2013 03:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Updating ;) still haven't found the right piece of wood.

Chesh 04-27-2013 03:43 PM

It looks so GOOOOOD! And such a pretty little fishy, too. ^.^
Thanks for updating, good luck on the quest!

GetTheJist 04-27-2013 04:09 PM

Nice tank, and lovely betta. If you are still looking for wood try looking for people who are taking down there tanks because there are usually a few good pieces up for grabs.

dlambert 04-27-2013 04:59 PM

Thanks :) think I'm going to look outside for wood.. Most wood locally should be safe after boiling, and the pieces for sale are typically bulky chunks of root instead of branches which is what I think I am looking for.

GetTheJist 04-28-2013 11:42 AM

Oh right I think I get what sort of look you're going for branches would look good in there, I just prefer having wood dominant hardscapes and automatically assume other people do too =P

dlambert 04-28-2013 02:25 PM

I went and found a good piece which actually ended up being a piece of root instead of the branch I thought I wanted.. I'll post picture later, I just put it in this morning after boiling it last night and soaking through the night. It is pretty wide and flat which works because I just didn't want it to take up to much tank volume in the tiny tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

dlambert 04-28-2013 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Let there be wood! I think the betta might end up having to be moved :( he is constantly fighting his tank reflection and I think it's stressing/tiring him out.

Chesh 04-29-2013 10:53 AM

Looks nice in there! What kind of wood is it?

My Betta tends to be on the aggressive side, too. I always have to be very aware of room vs tank lighting to minimize reflections on the inside of his tank. You could try adding more plants around the back/sides to help block his reflection - it would look nice, and help him feel better!