Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Filter sucking up fish! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/filter-sucking-up-fish-151873/)

Renieb83 04-13-2013 08:02 AM

Filter sucking up fish!
 
About 8 weeks ago I bought a Grreat Choice starter 10 gallon tank the came with the filter which is a grreat value internal filter. A week later I bought a blue Gourami. He has survived well. Yesterday I bought 2 Tequila sunrise guppies and a dalmation molly. After 2 hours, I found the guppies sticking out of the bottom of my filter dead. This morning I found my molly stuck to the bottom of the filter (he's too big to get in the filter) dead. Is my filter too strong? My Gourami is still doing fine.

KevAmiga 04-13-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renieb83 (Post 1738721)
About 8 weeks ago I bought a Grreat Choice starter 10 gallon tank the came with the filter which is a grreat value internal filter. A week later I bought a blue Gourami. He has survived well. Yesterday I bought 2 Tequila sunrise guppies and a dalmation molly. After 2 hours, I found the guppies sticking out of the bottom of my filter dead. This morning I found my molly stuck to the bottom of the filter (he's too big to get in the filter) dead. Is my filter too strong? My Gourami is still doing fine.

Hi there. I think the answer lies in your "A Week Later" bit. Your fish may have died and then got stuck in the filter.

Do you have any readings on your water levels (Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia)? Sounds scary I know... but I can help if you need it :D

Kev.

(newbie here but not a newbie to fish keeping!)

jaysee 04-13-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevAmiga (Post 1743081)
Hi there. I think the answer lies in your "A Week Later" bit. Your fish may have died and then got stuck in the filter.

Yes that is what happened. They either died or were in the process of dying and were carried by the current to the filter.

Healthy fish can easily avoid the filter. New cichlid fry can avoid my filters, and I don't think anyone on this forum has "as much" filtration as I do.

KevAmiga 04-13-2013 08:05 PM

My next step would be to do a water check. You will probablyfind your ammonia levels are up.
Posted via Mobile Device

FishyFishy89 04-13-2013 11:26 PM

I agree. This sounds like a classic new set-up. You're tank is likely cycling right now and the poor fish are suffering through it. Read this, it's full of helpful information http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

MoneyMitch 04-14-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1743801)
Yes that is what happened. They either died or were in the process of dying and were carried by the current to the filter.

Healthy fish can easily avoid the filter.

+1

AbbeysDad 04-14-2013 09:45 AM

Welcome to TFK.

Sorry for your loss.

It's a sad story we hear all to often. It's often referred to as 'new tank syndrome'. Typically when a new tank is setup and fish are added without close monitoring of water (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) parameters the ammonia levels rise faster than the development of the beneficial biology that coverts it (ammonia -to- nitrites -to- nitrates). Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic to fish and can kill at surprisingly low levels.
The referenced article should provide all the detailed information you need to get back on track.

Keep us posted.

Renieb83 05-15-2013 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I got my levels all checked and they are all now in the recommended settings. My fish have survived 4 days. It's a record! lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2