Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help! my fish aren't moving much? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-my-fish-arent-moving-much-15180/)

wendex 06-02-2008 11:07 AM

Help! my fish aren't moving much?

Did a water change last night 25% readings b4 change all ok, had some stuff growing on bogwood which I was advised to clean, did that today but the fish weren't moving much b4 I cleaned bogwood. They're just down by the gravel or hiding either grouped or alone and they're not moving much. They're normally very active chasing eachother and swimming in the bubbles. I can't test the water til later. Water temps fine. Could they have eaten the stuff growing on bogwood and got sick? (it was like fine white cotton wool) :question:

1077 06-02-2008 11:27 AM

Water paramaters that are FINE do not give enough information to those who may be able to offer help. :(

wendex 06-02-2008 12:05 PM

Hi yeah :doh!:

PH 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10

I didn't boil bogwood (havent got pan big enough! :roll: ) I boiled kettle and cleaned it with boiling water then rinsed it hope this is effective.

Is it possible they're just resting?

wendex 06-02-2008 12:07 PM

Water temp 77F 25c heater set to maintain 24c temp.

1077 06-02-2008 12:19 PM

Water paramaters do indeed seem fine. I would keep an eye out on those water conditions to keep them just as they are. It is possible that they are just loafing. I might try giving them a variety of foods if you are not doing so already but don"t overfeed okay? :wink:

wendex 06-02-2008 12:35 PM

Thanks

I've already asked about food on site and have been advised to only feed once a day which I did, but have gone back to twice a day cos I don't like to think they're going hungry. I've just got nutrafin max, complete flake food for all tropical fish. The biggest fish eats them straight down but two smallest eat them and spit them back out. I crumble them first in clingfilm to make flakes smaller.
I was told this might be cos they'd just been moved. They've been in tank over a week now and still do it. I going to get some daphnia on Thursday(recommended by another member) see how they do with that. I didn't get it sooner cos I thought I'd keep trying with flakes first.

I was also going to get some cories on Thursday to start building up community if water readings were still ok. But now I'm not sure. :dunno:

Flashygrrl 06-02-2008 05:53 PM

Fish are good at looking hungry. Guess it depends if the food's being eaten or not.

wendex 06-02-2008 06:10 PM

:cry: I think I've really messed up. just taken readings nitrates down 5-7, nitrites 0, ph 7.4 but ammonia looks like it's up a little bet. 0-0.25 doesn't seem much but it's obviously distressing the fish. Can't get anything now cos it's mid-night so all I can hope is they make it through the night and I'll see what I can get tomorrow morning to help, any suggestions?

iamntbatman 06-02-2008 06:29 PM

Do a big water change tonight. I'd do about 50%.

wendex 06-02-2008 06:34 PM

I haven't got any cycle left just water conditioner should I still change water tonight? Should I leave gravel alone when I change water?