Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Saltwater Fish (
-   -   clownfish compatibality (

taminate 06-01-2008 08:44 PM

clownfish compatibality
I have had my 55 set up for awhile, and I started with a percula clown...and added another a few months later...they are buddies and go well together... they share their anemone...I just received a 12 gallon nano, and it is not in the best "visual shape" i would like to use it as a refugium, but it is currently hosting what appears to be a tomato clown (the guy tried to convince me it is a cinnamon but it is NOT) tomato clowns need more than 12 question... is it safe to move this clown and its' anemone to my 55? or will the clowns battle? ( i have watched the tank for about 3 weeks and it is disease free) I feel bad for the fish because it needs a bigger tank, and i considered moving my 2 percs to the 12 gallon because they do not need as much room...HELP please

also, this tomato clown is disturbingly shy...I have never seen a fish go and hide as soon as you walk into the room like this one...any ideas.

Cody 06-01-2008 08:50 PM

IMO, I wouldn't add another clown to the mix, much less a Tomato. Tomatoes can be a bit more aggresive, and get larger than Perculas.

taminate 06-02-2008 06:04 AM

thank you for the reply...I am not sure what I should do then...if I should switch the tomato to the big tank and the percs to the small... On Foster and Smith it says Tomato clowns need 30gallon+. My nano doesn't look that great needs a hood and the correct skimmer, the one on it is too big (looks bad) Thanks again

Pasfur 06-04-2008 02:40 PM

I suggest that you return the Tomato Clown to the pet shop. You really do not have a place for it.

Another alternative is this. Set up another aquarium, say 29 gallons, and use it as a quarantine tank. Your pair of Percs would make good permanent residents for a 29 quarantine and would be used to keep the biofilter seeded.

Then you'd have space in the 55 for your Tomato.