Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I think I was a bit over-optimistic with my tank size.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-think-i-bit-over-optimistic-15135/)

Torn 05-31-2008 07:57 PM

I think I was a bit over-optimistic with my tank size....

Hello :D
Up until today, I thought my tank was 30 gallons but after looking at other people's tanks I don't think that's the case. Could someone please tell me the correct way to measure a tank please? The length and width are pretty straightforward but do you measure the height from the aquarium base to the rim? Or from the top of the gravel to the waterline? I've got a horrible feeling that when I first calculated the size I just used the manufacturer's dimensions which probably included the hood, which is quite a bit higher than the top of the glass! :doh!:

Not only do I not want to overstock my tank, but more importantly I don't want to overdose with any medications I may give my fish.

Also, after I know the correct size of my tank, if someone could tell me if I can still keep the fish I was planning to (in tank blurb), then that would be great. My tank has an external canister filter rated up to 55 gallons and is moderately planted if that makes a difference. I just have the 10 Neons at the moment.
Could anyone recommend an online tank volume calculator as well please?
Thanks for any help.

okiemavis 05-31-2008 08:37 PM

Hello, are you looking for US or imperial gallons? Imperial is larger, so it's possible you calculated your tank in US gallons, and you've seen your other friends in the US. Just measure the tank from the very bottom of the edging to the very top. You don't have to worry about being *too* accurate, as you'll be able to tell which of the standard sizes it is. Here's a link to a site with the standard dimensions for both the US and UK. Don't pay attention to the stocking recommendations, they're crap as they're based on the inch-per-gallon rule.
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/tancap.htm

I forgot to mention, I can't see your tank blurb, could you just post the stocking you were hoping for?

Torn 05-31-2008 09:03 PM

Haha, thanks okiemavis! It seems my tank's dimensions are a bit unusual, they are L 80cm x W 30cm x H 42cm. From the standard sizes listed on that site, I think it's somewhere between 24 and 29 US gallons? I'll just use US gallons on this forum as I think that's what most people are using. :wink:

As well as the 10 Neons, the fish I would like to add are a pair of German Blue Rams, 1 Bristlenose Catfish and 6 Cories.

Thanks for your reply.

Torn 05-31-2008 09:55 PM

By the way, just checked and my filter is actually rated for tanks up to 250 litres, 55 UK gal, 66 US gal. How confusing...Ok from now on, I'll check to make sure I'm only using US gallons on this forum, promise. :thumbsup:

iamntbatman 05-31-2008 10:05 PM

It's just the Imperial gallons that are confusing. Liters work, too!

I think the stocking list you've provided will work for a tank your size. I would say you might be pushing into "overstocked" territory, but since you're already overdoing the filtration I think you're on the right track. Just make sure you add the fish slowly and watch your water parameters. You might be doing more (or larger) water changes than the standard amount and if you notice your parameters climbing (i.e. any ammonia or nitrite once the tank is established or quickly-climbing nitrates) it might be a good idea to add another layer of filtration, such as a sponge filter or power filter. However, the neons are really tiny and the only big waste factory you've got in your list is the BN pleco, so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Torn 05-31-2008 10:17 PM

Excellent news! Thanks so much for your reply and advice. I've used a few different calculators now and they varied slightly but were mostly just over 26 :!: US :!: gallons, I can live with that. :P

GeegaFish 06-01-2008 12:32 PM

Yes tank sizes can be confusing at times. I wish the whole world would just go metric and get it over with. ::sigh:;

Good luck with your new tank. It sounds like you're on a good track and will have a nice outcome! Post some pictures when you can.

By the way, I really like the turtle pic you used for your Avatar. Cool! 8)

tophat665 06-01-2008 08:21 PM

Tank Volumes: Always use inside dimensions. Google "Aquarium dimensions" for standard sizes.

Calculating:
Metric: Length (cm) x width (cm) x height (cm) / 1000 since 1 litre = 1000 ml and 1 ml = 1 cubic centimeter

American: Length (in) x width (in) x height (in) / 231. Don't know why, but it will get you pretty close. Or Volume in Litres * 5/19

So you have a 100 litre tank, which is about 26 1/2 American gallons.

daisycutter 06-01-2008 09:58 PM

i mesure all mine simply by the amount of water they contain i have 5g bucket with mesurments inside so i know how much water goes into a tank on filling this way i can determine volume and take in to account rocks,gravel,filters etc its fine up to 30g anything bigger it becomes tedios

Torn 06-02-2008 04:38 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments and info, I'll be posting pics soon!