Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   30gal but hard water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/30gal-but-hard-water-15134/)

LJean 05-31-2008 08:05 PM

30gal but hard water

Hello all.

I would like to set up my 30 gallon tank again. I am looking for advice on which fish would work well in a 30 gallon, but with hard water. I usually only kept goldfish, but want something different this time.

I considered bleeding heart tetras, but read they like soft water.

Any suggestions?

jostrom 05-31-2008 09:43 PM

I think a Reverse Osmosis system would soften your water, but they tend to be expensive. But i would check with someone else.

okiemavis 05-31-2008 09:49 PM

It depends on how crazy you want to go. The first thing that springs to mind when you say "hard water" is African Cichlids. You could do some incredibly cool Tanganyikan Shell Dwellers and such in a 30 gallon. Do you know your exact kh, gh and ph?

Generally, you'll be looking at fish from Africa. Fish from South America and Asia generally require soft, acidic water. The Rift Lakes on the other hand, are very hard and extremely alkaline. They're incredibly interesting, intelligent and rewarding fish, if you're prepared to really research and prepare before keeping them.

Oldman47 05-31-2008 10:05 PM

The africans that have already been mentioned are a nice choice. In addition you can have almost any of the new world live bearers such as guppies, swords, platies, mollies and endlers.

LJean 06-01-2008 09:43 AM

Thanks for your input. I have time for researching and will have my water checked for all the parameters.

Need to get the tank down from the attic today and get it cleaned out.

tophat665 06-01-2008 08:59 PM

30 gallons would be a minimum size for a breeding pair of Convict cichlids too. Course, you'd have to figure out what to do with the fry.

With 30 gallons, you could probably do the ideal platy/variatus set up - 10 females, 3 males. Again, you have a fry issue.

One male, three female swordtails and some firemouths would be cool (I think the firemounths would solve your fry problem).

Tanganyika shellies have been mentioned, but you could do a pair of Julis in there, or Brichardis. I don't think you would have a problem unloading Juli or Brichardi fry.

I have a couple other ideas, but I need to work them out first.

LJean 06-02-2008 10:12 PM

hmm.. fry..
I know exactly what to do with any fry that may survive my lack of skills. I know someone who runs a mom and pop type pet store. ;)

I also have two ten gallon tanks (and a 20 long) sitting around I could have set up to put them in.

My husband and daughter decided we should have a bunch of little schooling fish. (they can sometimes take the fun out things, LOL) We have plenty of time to decide.

LJean 06-02-2008 10:16 PM

ooo.. those julis were pretty nice! I had a little difficulty finding them online at first.