Tropical Fish Keeping banner

guppy fry

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  It'sJames 
#1 ·
so, i have about 27ish guppy fry that are 3 weeks old, another female had a drop today about the same number of fry, and the mother of the first drop is getting pretty big again... lots of fry leads to lots of feeders for my RES turtles and then some to give away, my only question is how big should they be before i feed them to the turtles? i think i'm going to grow out these two drops and leave any more for the next little while to natural selection.

#3 ·
MORE FRY!

well, update on the fry situation already... the mother of the fry that are 3 weeks old tomorrow just started popping out some more. i caught 5 and put them in the breeder box with the ones from earlier (without the partition) i'm going to leave the mother in the main tank to have the rest of her fry. i hope the little ones live but if not it is probably better for them to get eaten now than once they get big like the rest of their brother's and sisters. i think it is time to make friends with a cichlid owner in the area.

#5 ·
it took me a little while to get used to how big they get/ how long they are pregnant for so i think more than a few fry got eaten early on but now i have tons. just be careful feeding them to your turtle not to get carried away. with all those guppies your turtle could get way too much protien. what kind of turtle do you have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.