Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Suggestions for my water parameters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/suggestions-my-water-parameters-150777/)

zombiefish610 04-11-2013 03:43 PM

Suggestions for my water parameters

Hello all, It's been a long time since I was here. I'm in the process of cycling my tank. My water is alot different from where I used to live. I'm getting back in the hobby! Anyway, tank has been running for a few days so I know the cycle is not complete yet but I decided to test the water. I'm doing a 55g freshwater setup with malaysian driftwood that I used to have in a tank for years but is just now seeing water again and black sand. I do wanna add some rocks( not sure what yet ) and what I can have based on my parameters. My question is what fish would do well in these conditions? Also what would you suggest? Feel free to ask me any questions that might help in coming up with a plan. My parameters are as follows....

Ph- 8.0
Kh- 161.1
Gh- 232.7
Ammonia- 1.0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 7.5

The thing that most concerns me is the Kh and the Gh. I will not go the route of altering this via chemicals. Not a option for me. Much rather find fish that would be fine with these parameters. Also I have a suspicion that they may change when the cycle is complete. Am I right? So excited to get back, but I wanna make sure I take it slow and smart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

thekoimaiden 04-11-2013 05:45 PM

Welcome back into the hobby! You do have some hard water there, but that's not a big problem. African cichlids would do well in it, but I don't know if they are your thing. Guppies and other livebearer do well, too, but aren't for everyone due to that pesky habit of breeding like flies.

But there are some neat hardwater fish that have come into the hobby recently. A lot of them are small, colorful shoaling fish. The Asian rummynose barb (Sawbwa resplendens) is my favorite. Emerald dwarf rasbora are also gorgeous. For some bottom-dwellers look at the Inle Loach (Petruichthys brevis) or some of the captive-bred corydoras species as they can tolerate harder water better than the wild-caught ones. A lot of rainbowfish are hard water fish too (if memory serves me right).

Hope I've been able to give you some good ideas!

zombiefish610 04-11-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1722033)
Welcome back into the hobby! You do have some hard water there, but that's not a big problem. African cichlids would do well in it, but I don't know if they are your thing. Guppies and other livebearer do well, too, but aren't for everyone due to that pesky habit of breeding like flies.

But there are some neat hardwater fish that have come into the hobby recently. A lot of them are small, colorful shoaling fish. The Asian rummynose barb (Sawbwa resplendens) is my favorite. Emerald dwarf rasbora are also gorgeous. For some bottom-dwellers look at the Inle Loach (Petruichthys brevis) or some of the captive-bred corydoras species as they can tolerate harder water better than the wild-caught ones. A lot of rainbowfish are hard water fish too (if memory serves me right).

Hope I've been able to give you some good ideas!

I am considering african cichlids but I have driftwood in the tank and would like to add more not sure how that will be with cichlids.

zombiefish610 04-11-2013 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 97761

This is what I have going on right now.

JDM 04-11-2013 07:30 PM

Nice start, that screams Amazon to me, lots of wood, tannins floating plants with prolific roots, lots, and some serious moss. Of course that isn't really in synch with the harder water. (I am dealing with 23dGH if you want to talk about hard water).

If you heavily planted it and didn't over populate the fish the water would soften somewhat, maybe get you under 10dGH and the pH could get into the lower 7's.

Jeff.

thekoimaiden 04-11-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiefish610 (Post 1722265)
I am considering african cichlids but I have driftwood in the tank and would like to add more not sure how that will be with cichlids.

Pretty sure they would be fine with it. Wood and rocks are usually used to 'scape cichlid tanks because they have a habit of eating most plants. Plus, if the wood has been in there a while a lot of the tannins will have leeched out.

And that is an awesome start to a tank, btw!!! Love that wood!!!

zombiefish610 04-11-2013 09:44 PM

Kinda leaning towards the cichlids. I've never done them before. I would like to attach some java moss to the wood in spots, I've had great success with it in the past. Just not sure how it will fare with the cichlids.
Posted via Mobile Device

jentralala 04-11-2013 09:59 PM

Ooh, I like the scape a lot! Very dramatic. What brand of sand is that? It's really pretty.

Tazman 04-11-2013 10:35 PM

Tank is looking good, stick a pile of rocks dotted around and yes it would be suited to cichlids.

They will munch on the driftwood a bit but no destroy it, add a BN pleco or synodontis as a bottom feeder and it would be a nice tank.

There are some easier cichlids to start off with, these include yellow labs, cynotilapia afra, Rusty and acei, in a 55g tank look at about 12-15 in total. Ideally you want 1 male to several females although this is not always possible.

zombiefish610 04-12-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 1725369)
Ooh, I like the scape a lot! Very dramatic. What brand of sand is that? It's really pretty.

Not sure of the brand of sand. Bought it at petco for about $20 per 20lbs bag.