Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Galaxy Rasbora/Celestial Pearl Danio Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/galaxy-rasbora-celestial-pearl-danio-question-15076/)

iamntbatman 05-29-2008 01:43 AM

Galaxy Rasbora/Celestial Pearl Danio Question

What are people's opinions on keeping this fish? I was at the LFS today and they had a bunch of tiny ones in stock (all about 1/4-1/2") for about $6 each. From what I've read on the web, this is a good price as they're usually $8-10. Doing a little more research, I've read they do well in schools and are one of the better fish to keep in really small planted aquaria (i.e. 5 gallons or so).

However, I also read that they're a newly discovered species and that their populations in the wild are probably threatened due to how many have been caught for the aquarium trade. One site said that a lot of hobbyists are boycotting the fish in order to protect their numbers in the wild.

Does anyone know more about the fish and their situation? I'd like to own some, but I also don't want to contribute to wiping out a native population of fish.

herefishy 05-29-2008 02:03 AM

Re: Galaxy Rasbora/Celestial Pearl Danio Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
What are people's opinions on keeping this fish? I was at the LFS today and they had a bunch of tiny ones in stock (all about 1/4-1/2") for about $6 each. From what I've read on the web, this is a good price as they're usually $8-10. Doing a little more research, I've read they do well in schools and are one of the better fish to keep in really small planted aquaria (i.e. 5 gallons or so).

However, I also read that they're a newly discovered species and that their populations in the wild are probably threatened due to how many have been caught for the aquarium trade. One site said that a lot of hobbyists are boycotting the fish in order to protect their numbers in the wild.

Does anyone know more about the fish and their situation? I'd like to own some, but I also don't want to contribute to wiping out a native population of fish.

Price is about right as I wholesale them for just a bit less. They will not get very big and should be kept in schools.

Their habitat is NOT in danger.

Many fish you are now seeing in your lfs are captive bred.

Cody 05-29-2008 11:08 AM

My LFS has a tank full of them. I have been tempted to get some, but they are $7.99 there (and that is the only place that carries them). And, I dont have the space for them. :? Go for it.

herefishy 05-29-2008 12:17 PM

LOL Cody. You just don't want them bad enough. For if you did, you would empty a tank for them.

In my earlier days in the hobby, I did just the same thing. I believe that the fish I fell head over heels for was the serpea tetra. I was probably about 15 years old.

A little word of encouragement, a 10g tank with just the basics, doesn't cost that much. No heater is needed, marbles for substrate, in case they start breeding. Sponge filter, power filters will devour the fry. And some floating plants, my choice in my tanks is elodea...

A used 10g an be picked up dirt cheap, sometimes $5 or less. Use that extra air pump you have lying around. Glass canopy. You might even check out a neighborhood rummage sale, I have picked up complete 29g setups for $10. I just had to haggle a bit.

How "hungry" are you to have them. For less than $20 you can have the set up.

How I love "egging" people on in their addiction. lol

iamntbatman 05-29-2008 12:45 PM

Thanks for the info Bob. The article I read was from March '07 so I figured there was probably a change in the situation since then. Plus, I figured that being danios, they weren't exactly the most challenging fish in the world to breed. Maybe I'll get another 5g and pick some up. Still kinda pricey for such a small fish, though.

herefishy 05-29-2008 12:57 PM

There was fear, at one time, that these fish were found in only one locale. But other groups have been located in many other areas of their habitat. The fear was that in the initial collection of these fish that the original habitat was being destroyed. Again, not true. I would imagine that the original discovery area was definitely compromised from all of the collectors tromping around. But, the discovery of other areas lessened the incursion on the initial site and spread the collection to the other areas as well.

One great thing about these fish is that they are easy to breed. An like I said before, many of the fish you are now seeing in you lfs's are tank raised. If you live along the East Coast or in Ohio, you may be buying my fish. lol

iamntbatman 05-29-2008 01:08 PM

I'm in Maryland in the DC suburbs, so that's likely true. Why do you sell them so small, huh?

herefishy 05-29-2008 01:19 PM

LOL. Not a real big fish anyway. I usually sell mine at 1/2". At full maturity they are not real big. In fact they are less than 1" at maturity. They are at the adult size around 3/4". Not a big fish at all.

Care must be taken when selecting tankmates and with their diminutive size, you can understand why.