Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   red tailed shark problem, plz help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/red-tailed-shark-problem-plz-help-15069/)

amitalegaonkar 05-28-2008 04:48 PM

red tailed shark problem, plz help!

My shark isn't eating anything. I have no idea how its lived for the past week, i think its eating off the plant(surface, not side), but i don't know for sure. I tried regular fish flakes, i tried lettuce as reccomended, but it keeps floating to the top, and the sharks mouth is underslung, so it cant eat it anyway. Im going to try algae wafers next, but i dont no if its a good idea. Please reply 2day.

Fat_Fender_40 05-28-2008 05:40 PM

Try some sinking shrimp pellets. He could be eating at night when you can't watch him all the time.

amitalegaonkar 05-28-2008 05:44 PM

Thanks

Thanks for ur help, il go and get those 2day, along wit the algae wafers. Once again, thanks.[/img]

Cody 05-28-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat_Fender_40
Try some sinking shrimp pellets. He could be eating at night when you can't watch him all the time.

Mine completely ignores my Shrimp Pellets. As you know, these are veggie men, and your RTBS was eating the algea of your plants. The algea wafers should help a lot. Also, I have noticed that my RTBS goes for freeze-dried/frozen food every now and then, so that may be a thought.

amitalegaonkar 05-28-2008 06:40 PM

Thanks

In that case I'l get the algae wafers and and the shrimp pellets, but ill stick wit these first so i wont end up wasting money if my shark likes the wafers a lot. If both the shrimp and the wafers don't work out, il get the freeze-dried. Thanks for ur suggestion. I noticed the reef tank thing at the bottom of ur reply, where do u get the reef, and how much does it cost? I too, have a 10g tank and want to add the more natural feel 2 it. Thanks for everything. :P

Lupin 05-28-2008 07:09 PM

Bah! I used to keep SW (saltwater) and it eats your wallet.:shock:

I used to feed my sharks with sinking foods. If they become accustomed to seeing others eat in your hand, they will also follow. I used to keep those fish myself but that was a long time and I plan to keep some anytime soon together with my tiger loaches.8) My loaches and SAE's are fed on hand.:lol:

amitalegaonkar 05-28-2008 07:54 PM

Hey Lupin!

Hey Lupin! I no ur the moderator, so u must no a lot about fish. I got a ten gallon tank on 5/15/08 and now it has a red tailed shark, 2 red wag platies, and 2 danios. Wud this be an ok setup? :? Or wud i need a bigger tank? I was wondering if i cud add any more fish. Tanks for ur help. :)[/list]

Fat_Fender_40 05-28-2008 07:55 PM

Re: Hey Lupin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitalegaonkar
Hey Lupin! I no ur the moderator, so u must no a lot about fish. I got a ten gallon tank on 5/15/08 and now it has a red tailed shark, 2 red wag platies, and 2 danios. Wud this be an ok setup? :? Or wud i need a bigger tank? I was wondering if i cud add any more fish. Tanks for ur help. :)[/list]

your red tailed shark alone is too big for that tank.

Fat_Fender_40 05-28-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody
Quote:

Mine completely ignores my Shrimp Pellets. As you know, these are veggie men, and your RTBS was eating the algea of your plants. The algea wafers should help a lot. Also, I have noticed that my RTBS goes for freeze-dried/frozen food every now and then, so that may be a thought.

I had mine for three years. It ate everything though, probably after it got done with it's finicky stage. Mine would love to gobble flake food upside down. I don't know it was just easier to eat flakes that way with their mouths.

Lupin 05-28-2008 08:04 PM

Re: Hey Lupin!

Quote:

your red tailed shark alone is too big for that tank.

He's right, Ami.:thumbsup: