Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Catfish/Cory for 14 gallon aquarium? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/catfish-cory-14-gallon-aquarium-15062/)

finsNfur 05-28-2008 01:04 PM

Catfish/Cory for 14 gallon aquarium?

I recently set up a new 14 gallon aquarium, and once it has completed cycling I would like to get some kind of catfish for it. Right now I'm just researching and planning what types of fish to get. I'm not new with owning fish, but I still have a lot to learn. Currently, the aquarium has 3 Zebra danios in it. Eventually I also want to add a few guppies, and maybe a few mollies or swordfish. Naturally this is all some time away, once the tank has completed cycling, and I know I can only add a few new fish at a time. I realize I have a limited amount of space for fish with a 14 gallon aqarium. This is why I am trying to find a species of catfish that would be happy being the lone catfish. I understand cories like to be in a school of six or more? That would be too many. So is there a type of small catfish who doesn't need other catfish for company?

It'sJames 05-28-2008 01:06 PM

Pygmy corries should still be kept in groups, but they're much smaller than your average cory and have a light bioload... just a thought.

iamntbatman 05-28-2008 01:20 PM

+1 for pygmy cories. I think a 14g tank has the same footprint as a 10g, it's just taller. 6 pygmy cories should still do fine in a tank of that size. I would increase your number of zebra danios to around 5 or so, as these fish can supposedly get somewhat nippy if kept cramped or in smaller schools. Mollies get a little too large for a 14g. Guppies, platies or swordtails would work, but keep in mind that all of these are livebearing fish and if you mix the sexes, you will likely have a fry explosion on your hands. So, if you had 6 pygmy cories, 5 zebra danios, and 4 or so male guppies, I think you'd have a nice looking aquarium. If you didn't want to deal with the livebearer issue, there are lots of other fish that would work, such as rasboras, cherry barbs, smaller tetras such as neons, cardinals or black neons, or some of the smaller gouramis such as sparkling gouramis, honey gouramis or dwarf gouramis. Everything I suggested other than the gouramis are schooling fish so you should get a small school of those. Gouramis can get territorial (especially the dwarfs) so plan ahead and make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces and plants if you go this route.

finsNfur 05-28-2008 02:42 PM

Yes, the 14 gallon is just taller than the regular 10 gallon. And actually, I wouldn't mind having some baby guppies. But I doubt they'll surive too long, I know in previous years the fry were always eaten by other fish.

Is there just one type of Pygmy Cory? I will probably have to specifically ask for them at our LFS, otherwise they will try to sell me whatever cories they have. I can pre-order just about any kind of fish though, so if I know a particular name I can request them. And is six the absolute minimum number? I was hoping for more variety in the tank. Maybe I should re-think the idea of catfish? And also, I have flattened marbles on the bottom of the tank instead of gravel, and after reading the stickied thread of cory pics I see that cories don't like anything other than sand. :cry:

It'sJames 05-28-2008 03:03 PM

I think there are several types of miniature corries... but I may be wrong. I wouldn't go for anything less than 5 or 6. They have a really light bioload though, so there will still be planty of room for other things. Corries just need a substrate with smooth edges to keep there barbels from being damaged. Flat marbles wouldn't hurt them, although it seems to me that it would be harder to keep clean, since a lot of food and waste could sink down between marbles. If you ever decide to grow any live plants you will not be able to use marbles either.

Coryologist 05-28-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sJames
I think there are several types of miniature corries... but I may be wrong. - Quote edited by Coryologist.

C. hastatus, C. habrosus and C. pygmaeus are the 3 most recognized "pygmy" Corys, but there are others that stay rather small. Many of the Aspidoras species are quite small and very attractive, such as A. cf. albater, pictured here and the extremely dimunutive A. pauciradiatus. They are not as hard to find as many think. Good luck. - Frank

http://www.laurellakeguppies.com/cor...albater_cw.jpg

finsNfur 05-29-2008 06:10 AM

Ohh, I really like that one!! I was actually hoping for a spotted Cory. Thanks so much for that info!! Is there a more common name that I should use when asking the LFS to order them for me? If I say "aspidoras albater", will they scratch their heads at me? And I looked him up, it says they like temps of 71-75, so would 78 be too warm for them? If that is the case, after some research, maybe C. habrosus would be better? I like those, too.

Also, I'm rapidly deciding I don't like the flat marbles. I think at some point in the near future I am going to find some soft gravel instead. Is there a particular type of gravel I should look for?

So sorry for all the questions. :oops:

Coryologist 05-29-2008 08:20 AM

Pygmys

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommytown
Ohh, I really like that one!! I was actually hoping for a spotted Cory. Thanks so much for that info!! Is there a more common name that I should use when asking the LFS to order them for me? If I say "aspidoras albater", will they scratch their heads at me? And I looked him up, it says they like temps of 71-75, so would 78 be too warm for them? If that is the case, after some research, maybe C. habrosus would be better? I like those, too.

Well, I think I confused you a little. A. cf. albater is an extremely rare fish. If you were to find them, you could expect to pay $20-25 US. Any of the "true" pygmy Corys are gong to cost you $2-3 each. There are less expensive Aspidoras, but they always fetch a few more dollars, each. Only you know your budget. :-) I was actually just trying to show that there are other smaller species out there. I picked a bad example. Sorry. With that being said, if you can afford them, and like them - go crazy. You only live once. Hee-hee!

Quote:

Also, I'm rapidly deciding I don't like the flat marbles. I think at some point in the near future I am going to find some soft gravel instead. Is there a particular type of gravel I should look for?
Most Corydoradines will do best with shallow play sand as a substrate. I cannot think of a worse substrate than marbles, even flat ones, except for sharp edged gravel that would tear into your Corys barbels which can result in bacterial infection and total barbel loss.

Quote:

So sorry for all the questions. :oops:
That's what we're here for. - Frank

finsNfur 05-29-2008 08:55 AM

Eeek! That is expensive. Figures, just when I was really starting to want the "habrosis" cory. At those prices though, it looks like I will be sticking with the more common striped pygmy cory. And I will be looking for sand or soft gravel, too. Thanks so much for all your help! I have learned quite a bit about cories now, enough not to let a LFS sell me one big one. They always seem to feel that's ideal, I've ended up with just one in the past. I had one live for several years, we called him "Mr. Suckems". Poor guy, we had no idea how lonely he was.

Coryologist 05-29-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommytown
Eeek! That is expensive. Figures, just when I was really starting to want the "habrosis" cory. At those prices though, it looks like I will be sticking with the more common striped pygmy cory. And I will be looking for sand or soft gravel, too. Thanks so much for all your help! I have learned quite a bit about cories now, enough not to let a LFS sell me one big one. They always seem to feel that's ideal, I've ended up with just one in the past. I had one live for several years, we called him "Mr. Suckems". Poor guy, we had no idea how lonely he was.

Here are some C. habrosus at $1 each:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shc&1212282611

Here are some C. pygmaeus for $1 each.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shc&1212382403

Can't beat that price and I can highly recommend the seller. - Frank