Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Question about Sump (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/question-about-sump-14993/)

Twitch 05-26-2008 05:56 AM

Question about Sump

I was wondering if I need a sump for my tank. It is a 20g (20 Long) and it has a Millenium 3000 filter running on it and a good light. Thats all. I plan on keeping a reef (corals, inverts, maybe a fish or two).

If I did end up making a sump, I would be using a 10g tank. I have no experience building anything or putting anything together (when we put our futon together, we built it backwards).

Also are there any other pieces of equipment I will need to maintain a healthy reef? Powerheads? Skimmers? Ect?

Age of Aquariums 05-26-2008 08:27 AM

I would recommend a sump for your tank as I have a Millenium 3000 also. I think the M 3000 was designed for SW Fish only/FW tanks. I'd recommend a either the MegaFlow model 1 or the Eshopps WD-75CS. As for building a sump, I haven't done that before, that's something you'll probably want to ask in the DIY section.

Hope this helps

Twitch 05-26-2008 08:54 AM

I won't be going out and buying a new filter, so I'll have to work with what I have, even if that means more frequent water changes, big sump, ect.

Also, what kind of equipment is needed for a sump? I've seen pictures of sumps on here and they look complicated to build. Lots of pipes and such. What are the basic pieces of equipment that I will need to turn my 10g into a sump.

Age of Aquariums 05-26-2008 09:56 AM

For plumbing it from the tank and back, PVC or vinyl. Most sumps have a protein skimmer, but not all. You'll need a tank, some acrylic sheets to split it into different sections, and an external over-flow for your tank (I recommend you buy this because if it's done wrong your sump would over flow). On the topic of building a sump you'll get more answers in the DIY section.

SKAustin 05-26-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitch
I won't be going out and buying a new filter, so I'll have to work with what I have, ............

That is most certainly not the attitude of a reefkeeper bound for success. If you are not willing to upgrade to the proper equipment, perhaps you may want to reconsider attempting a Fish-only setup. A small reef will be extremely difficult to maintain without the proper equipment and experience. I would recommend you consider getting, at the very least, a 29 gallon tank, make your 20g into the sump, and invest in the overflow, and maybe a coralife superskimmer 75. That coupled with a bare minimum of 130 watts of PC lighting would be enough to get you started with a small soft coral dominated reef.