Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   How To Trim Water Wisteria (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-trim-water-wisteria-149601/)

RedRaider15 04-09-2013 08:35 PM

How To Trim Water Wisteria

I recently got Water Wisteria for my planted aquarium and my plants are now more like bushes. I was wondering if there is any specific way that I needed to trim and replant it? Also, wil running a course bubble air stone take too much CO2 out of the water? My fish seem more active with it running, but if I can't run it, its not that big of a deal.

MoneyMitch 04-09-2013 08:48 PM

along the stems there should be little roots shooting off about quarter inch to half inch in length, there may only be one there may be several. cut right below where the root is and replant. simple as that.

RedRaider15 04-09-2013 08:49 PM

Wow, that is simple!! Thanks! Another question, can I trim Water Onion?

MoneyMitch 04-09-2013 08:54 PM

you can trim, just snip the tops but these wont sprount new plants. water onions multiply by rhizome.

Byron 04-10-2013 07:22 PM

On the Wisteria, as Mitch said, you can cut off the lower portion (as much as you want, this part often loses its leaves anyway), then remove the leaves from the lower nodes that you intend sticking into the substrate, and stick the cut end in.

If you snip a growing tip, it will branch from that node. This would create a bushier plant, should that be needed. Any of these shoots can then be cut off and planted as new plants.

Byron.

MoneyMitch 04-10-2013 08:31 PM

my watersprite which is similar is growing like a champ. I have new runners weekly but have yet to cut any of them off yet. from my other stem plants when cut they seem to grow faster, maybe trimming encourages growth?

fish monger 04-11-2013 07:34 AM

With certain stem plants, pruning absolutely encourages growth, especially in the form of creating bushier plants. Others, such as Brazilian Pennywort, don't seem to appreciate it.

MoneyMitch 04-13-2013 12:09 PM

just curious, as far as wisteria and water sprite go if left untrimmed will these grow to a unlimited height? or do they have a maximum they reach? what happens when they reach that maximum height do they bush out or put runners off like crazy.

Byron 04-13-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1739961)
just curious, as far as wisteria and water sprite go if left untrimmed will these grow to a unlimited height? or do they have a maximum they reach? what happens when they reach that maximum height do they bush out or put runners off like crazy.

You have mentioned two very different forms of plant, so let's first separate.

Wisteria is a stem plant. All stem plants will continue to grow if not affected by something. Wisteria for instance, if a stem is stuck in the substrate, will grow toward the light at the surface, and if left alone will then grow along the surface or into the air, towards the light. This is why we can control stem plants by continually trimming the upper portions of the stem and replanting. It is the same stem after all, just being shortened by us periodically. When allowed to continue unaffected, the lower portions generally lose leaves, since the plant is inherently wanting to grow (photosynthesis, which produces its energy food) and the leaves at the tip will naturally be close to the light and more productive. To my knowledge--but I stand to be corrected by a botanist--stem plants have no maximum length; the length is determined by those external forces like light, surface, tank lid, available nutrients, etc.

Water Sprite is not a stem plant but one having a crown from which the leaves and roots emerge. I'm sure there is a botanical name for these, but it escapes me. In these plants, the leaves do tend to grow to a maximum length, but I've no idea what this might be for the fern Ceratopteris. I have had them extend across the aquarium surface to a distance of close to 18-20 inches (each frond or leaf).

Byron.

ao 04-13-2013 01:19 PM

the word ur looking for is a rosette plant XD