Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   when can I get real plants for new aquarium? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/when-can-i-get-real-plants-14933/)

wendex 05-24-2008 05:54 PM

when can I get real plants for new aquarium?

Hi, I've had my first fish in tank for 4 days now and I'll be getting a couple more in about a week. In the tank there is some bog wood and a few artificial plants down the sides of the tank but I've read that the fish need floating plants and want to get some real plants for the tank but don't know when you can put real plants in a new tank? :dunno:

herefishy 05-24-2008 06:40 PM

Yesterday.

wendex 05-25-2008 02:26 AM

:D thanks. Don't understand why shop said I should wait, thought it was a bit strange.

Got another clueless beginners question. I've got complete flake food for the cherries, the two smaller fish eat and spit the flakes back out is this how they eat or do they not like the food? Bertha eats the flakes no probs.

codem 05-25-2008 03:03 AM

:shock:

I'll answer this one.

"SEARCH BUTTON"

But, since I'm in a good mood. I will save you a search.

First Off, you want live plants?

1) Buy Substrate
2) Buy a Real Light, I'm talking about anything over $150 with 4 light bulbs in there. Don't be cheap, buy the good stuff, otherwise if you cheap out, your going to do, dyam, should have bought the good stuff first.
3) Make sure you buy a light fixture that you can replace the bulbs, don't buy some no name brand that you will never find a bulb for the next year.
4) Buy a plant, and cut off the old roots and plant

5) CO2 and all those alsome chemicals, if create your tank right and you got the fish in there creating co2 and waste, you shouldn't need all that extra stuff. CO2 and all the chemicals is the difference between, organic orange and non-organic

I'm all down for an organic plant.

codem 05-25-2008 03:03 AM

double post, this was supposed to me a reply for: when can I get real plants for new aquarium? thread

Lupin 05-25-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codem
double post, this was supposed to me a reply for: when can I get real plants for new aquarium? thread

I merged your thread and deleted one post.

willow 05-25-2008 03:08 AM

hi
you can add plants as soon as you like :)
start off with a couple of easy to maintain ones,
and don't worry about asking questions,we all started somewhere.

wendex 05-25-2008 03:28 AM

Thanks for ur help. I've never used forums b4 so if I'm posting twice or in the wrong places sorry, I'm not a complete idiot honest :lol:

Thanks willow Can you suggest any good plants to start with, there r so many, I'm looking for plants to provide shelter for Cherry barbs, from what I've read so far they need floating plants?

willow 05-25-2008 03:42 AM

hi
takes time to get used to forums,i'm still a computer numptie
at times,best thing is try not to be scared,and always ask,
otherwise you'll never know :wink:
plants. hmmmmmmmmmmmm villas are good.java fern,hornwort.
brazillian penny wort.crypt wendtii,anubius.

wendex 05-25-2008 05:25 AM

:thankyou: willow uv been very helpful, got my shopping list sorted, I'll try different food and look at the plants uv suggested.