Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New shoal of Congos (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-shoal-congos-149209/)

Molinious 04-09-2013 10:06 AM

New shoal of Congos

As some of the members here are familiar with my previous posts, i had the majority of my Congo Tetra shoal contract something nasty that wiped it out apart from 2! Well iv finally added some more, they look like a different genus of the species to the existing ones.

They are settling in very very well but the older fish are keeping well away from them! They swim close to the new guys and then vanish. Im sure it will take time for them to adjust to having new tank mates as they have been on there own for a couple of months.

Fingers crossed they will all intergrate nicely.

Also added in the same tank is 5 Bronze Corys, one has an extended tail, would this be a male or again a slightly different genus?

To my other tank iv increased to my shoal of Rummynose Tetras, as soon as the new guys went in they found the existing Rummies and its like there having a reunion! Got together like old buddies and happily swimming together!

All is well, finally

As a final note, Byron i followed your advice and the new fish have come from a different stockist than the ones before, there 20 miles apart :-D

Geomancer 04-09-2013 11:20 AM

Could be different species if they look different.

For the corys though, you actually can't easily tell the difference between male and female. The only way that works for me is to look directly down on a group of them. The females are far wider than the males. The larger tailfin though would be a variant rather than male/female identifier.

Molinious 04-09-2013 11:35 AM

I think i made a mistake with the corys tho, since theyv been in my tank, due to the plants iv only seen 1! haha they just blend in so well

Byron 04-09-2013 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As it mentions in our profile of the Congo Tetra, there is a very similar species sometimes seen, commonly called the Yellow Congo or something similar. Here is a photo of this species, Alestopetersius caudalis, for comparison; there are good photos of the normal Congo in the profile.

On the cory, as Geo mentioned there is no external gender difference in any cory that I am aware of (aside from the girth when viewed from above), so it might be just "different" or another species. The "bronze" or "emerald" so-called cory may be Corydoras aeneus or Brochis splendens, check the photos in the respective profiles.

tinytetra 04-09-2013 12:57 PM

Molinious, this is going to sound weird but I just noticed your location - did you get those corys from A-Z Aquatics by any chance? I was in there the other day and saw bronze corys with extended tails - never seen corys like that before, cuties though! :lol:

Molinious 04-09-2013 01:27 PM

i got them from fish world in stafford

Molinious 04-09-2013 01:42 PM

On the cory, as Geo mentioned there is no external gender difference in any cory that I am aware of (aside from the girth when viewed from above), so it might be just "different" or another species. The "bronze" or "emerald" so-called cory may be Corydoras aeneus or Brochis splendens, check the photos in the respective profiles.

Byron the cory in question is not either profile, i shall get a pic of it if i ever see it again! haha there almost invisable

The congos will be easier to find