Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - My Betta, Fin Rot or Tetra attack? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-betta-fin-rot-tetra-attack-14877/)
My Betta, Fin Rot or Tetra attack?
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water?
3. How long the aquarium has been set up?
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
8 - Albino X-Ray Tetras
6 - Peppered Cory Cats
1 - Clown Pleco
1 - Male Betta
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
6. What temperature is the tank water currently?
7. What make/model filter are you using?
AquaTech 20/40 Power Filter
Tom Aquarium Rapid Mini Canister
8. Are you using a CO2 unit?
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
11. How often do you perform water changes?
twice a week
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
Once a day, Flakes for tetras, Betta Pellets for Betta, Sinking Shrimp pellets for Corys and Algae Pellet for Pleco at night every second night.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?
Standard flouresent light, on 6-10 hours a day
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time?
My Bettas Fins are not looking good. last week a noticed some areas of the fins were discolored, and faded. His fins are clamped, tail fin is missing a large chunk today.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Nitrate around 10
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
Tetratest Laborette liquid test.
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?
Clown Pleco, 2.5 weeks ago. Behaves the same, always hiding, moves fast.
If it is Fin rot, do I remove the betta and treat him or treat the tank?
Can you post any photos of the betta?
It sounds to me as if it could be both. The discoloration, fading color, and clamped fins all indicate fin rot, but a large chunk to be missing overnight sounds like another fish chewing the fins.
Your best bet is going to be to find the betta a small tank of his own, medicate him in there (methylene blue and fungus eliminator together, and be specific with the meds, as other fungal meds have different ingredients and not all can be mixed safely with the methylene blue).
If you need more detailed instructions for medicating, please let me know. Please do not use those meds in your main tank. The dosing to help the betta is going to be according to the directions on the bottles, but the other fish may not handle that well.
Keep the betta warm, 80 - 82 and well fed... and do daily water changes with medicated water to keep him as clean as possible. If you post what size tank you're going to use for the betta, I can map out the treatment a lot better for you.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.