Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   29g stocking tips/questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/29g-stocking-tips-questions-14852/)

mattmartindrift 05-21-2008 07:47 AM

29g stocking tips/questions

So, I have my new tank being setup; post-cycled I would like to add a pair of bolivians or GBRs.

It's a 29g that will be mildly planted with a sand/flourite substrate, driftwood, caves and a few structures here and there. I plan to add some trumpet snails to keep the sand from packing and creating anaerobic spots.

How would these fair with a 3-4 kuhlii loaches? (I love them) Their water requirements, from my research seems to be quite similar.

Maybe a few tetras?

Filtration will be done via sump or canister, i'm not quite sure whether I want to build or buy this time.

Thanks!

-Matt

1077 05-21-2008 07:59 AM

Bolivian rams are somewhat hardier than german blue rams unless you can find tank raised germans. don't know enough about the loaches other than some like to burrow. Might disturb plants?

Lupin 05-21-2008 08:18 AM

Kuhli loaches do burrow under the substrate but should be unable to uproot plants so easily unless these plants have not anchored themselves firmly yet.

mattmartindrift 05-21-2008 08:45 AM

minor uprootings aren't really a concern, i'm more clumbsy than them when it comes to vacuuming the tank/water changes so i'm used to messing up plants.

I'm more concerned about the compatibility of the fish, making them happy more so than me.

1077 05-21-2008 08:59 AM

I would not forsee problem unless rams began to fan eggs. They can be fearless when protecting nest. If you were to purchase rams of one sex which can be difficult to determine, then no worrys. Or you could move rams in the event they nest.

mattmartindrift 05-21-2008 09:08 AM

would adding a trio of otos be overstocking, or on the brink of doing so?

1077 05-21-2008 09:18 AM

otos could work they stay rather small but need substantial algae to survive. Ones I have cared for showed little interest in algae wafers or spirulina flakes. They do enjoy occasional slice of cucumber hung from veggie clip. :wink:

mattmartindrift 05-21-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077
otos could work they stay rather small but need substantial algae to survive. Ones I have cared for showed little interest in algae wafers or spirulina flakes. They do enjoy occasional slice of cucumber hung from veggie clip. :wink:

hmm, sounds good, I plan to run a good bit of light, and I don't mind algae too much, natural nitrite reducer. If my plants don't lower it enough, I had thought about leaving a light over my sump to make it an algae playground.