Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Feeding Clown Pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/feeding-clown-pleco-14845/)

EchoEcho 05-21-2008 12:02 AM

Feeding Clown Pleco

Hello,

I have had a little Clown Pleco for about 2 weeks now and I was wondering what they eat? I read they eat Drift Wood, and I have a very large piece in there for him, which he hangs off of from time to time. I also drop algae Pellets at night for him near his hideout. Other than that, what should I feed him?

I tried putting a slice of Cucumber in there for him, but he didn't touch it (was in there overnight). What else do they like?

1077 05-21-2008 02:29 AM

I have two clown plecos and they do enjoy wood. Some of the driftwood such as mopani is too hard for them. Mine also like algae tablets, Cucumber that I slice and then store in plastic container with water in fridge. They also scour the bottom of tank at night for leftover food. But there is not much of that for too much can foul the water. They also will eat frozen blood worms, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp. Mine do not come out much while lights are on and prefer to hide under driftwood until dark. I would keep trying with cucumber once or twice a week. You will be able to tell when it has been chewed on. You might try soaking it like i do or boiling it until it is soft. Microwave can work also. They really need place or places to hide to feel comfortable. Mine eat just about anything that other fish eat but wood makes up considerable part of their diet. try stabbing a slice of cucumber or zuchinni with a fork and then place the fork near his resting place just before lights out. They are much more active after dark. Hope some of this helps. :wink:

herefishy 05-21-2008 03:14 AM

Try zucchini slices, romaine lettuce, or fresh blanched spinach.

EchoEcho 05-21-2008 09:19 AM

Yeah, he has a couple good hiding spots he likes. Some days I don't even see him at all. Usually I can see him right after I turn n the light for a little while.

The driftwood is Bog wood I think. I will try pre soaking the cucumber and getting some zuchinni. He must be eating something as he looks pretty healthy and he has been in there for over two weeks now.

Such a cute little guy. Named him Circus Circus.

1077 05-21-2008 09:40 AM

hardly see mine either except at night if I use a small flashlight. They move rather quickly when they need to. :wink:

EchoEcho 05-21-2008 10:23 AM

Another question here, if anyone can answer, somewhat unrealted,

I am thinking of adding 2 Otto's to my tank. Would they get along with the Clown Plec?

I am adding them for algea clean up duty, as the Clown Plec is alright at this, but I think he could use some help.

Also... they are cute aswell.

1077 05-21-2008 10:44 AM

They would be fine.

herefishy 05-21-2008 01:03 PM

The otos will starve unless fed algae. So, you will need an algae source. Some will accept spirulina tabs or flakes, that can be utilized as a substitute.

EchoEcho 05-21-2008 09:37 PM

Algae pellets dont work?

herefishy 05-21-2008 11:03 PM

Otos have pretty small mouths.....