Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   125 Amazon Tank Photo Journal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/125-amazon-tank-photo-journal-14843/)

porksnorkel 05-20-2008 09:47 PM

125 Amazon Tank Photo Journal
 
just documenting my tanks progress, so please enjoy the pics.

DIY 125g stand and canopy w/ marineland 125 tank

filtration.....twin emperor 400's and fluval fx5
lighting.......twin 96W AH Supply PC's on single ballast w/ 10,000K bulbs
cooling.......DIY mini fan from Skycraft Surplus
heaters......twin Stealth 200W's
timer/pwr....Coralife single digital and Leviton power strips
backround...exterior black paint
substrate....white play sand from Home Depot
rock...........Tennessee river rounds from Pebble Junction
wood..........grapewood and unknown

flora..........Jungle Vallis [to be planted]

fauna[current]........2 angels
9 silver dollars [8 in QT]
5 silver hatchets
2 marble hatchets
1 clown pleco [to be removed if possible]
1 whiptail cat
2 spotted coris
1 glass cori
1 bolivian ram
2 ghost shrimp

fauna[to come]......1 whiptail cat
3 to 4 glass coris
6 bolivian rams
2 discus
10 to 15 small tetras of some sort [may not have room]

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...zontank001.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...zontank007.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...malawi7017.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...inished021.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../random007.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...on125-1001.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...on125-1002.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...on125-1009.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...on125-1010.jpg

herefishy 05-20-2008 09:56 PM

I've made a trip to the Amazon once, snorky. It's not that clear. lol

Nice tank, and set up. Are plants in the foreseeable future?

porksnorkel 05-20-2008 10:07 PM

oh man i wanna go some day. yeah i know it's pretty muddy, but that doesn't do much for the home aquarium,lol.

should have some plants on the way in a few weeks. i'm thinking potted jungle vals from arizona gardens...assuming i can hide the pots. not sure if they'll do well in the sand, even w/ the peat underneath.

Dave66 05-20-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porksnorkel
oh man i wanna go some day. yeah i know it's pretty muddy, but that doesn't do much for the home aquarium,lol.

should have some plants on the way in a few weeks. i'm thinking potted jungle vals from arizona gardens...assuming i can hide the pots. not sure if they'll do well in the sand, even w/ the peat underneath.

Not muddy, per se, but dark from vegetative decay and roiling from current. Just a heads up on your stocking: the silver dollars will view the Vallisnerias as a salad bar. Would keep a bunch of them if they were such plant lawnmowers. View them as vegetarian piranhas, you get the idea. Though it chaffs me to say it, because I do only well-planted tanks, if you want to keep silver dollars, the plants should be silk. Sheesh. And you should stock up on Romaine lettuce (only Romaine), leaf spinach and other leafy vegetables in the produce isle at the grocery store as for optimum health and color of your SD's, they gotta have the greens.

Dave

herefishy 05-20-2008 10:58 PM

I actually made my Amazon a blackwater tank. Not being a purist by any stretch of one's imagination, having "safari'd" to the Mecca of South American fishdom, I couldn't stand having my water THAT clear. lol I added some hard woods, teak and oak, some blackwater extract and Voila!!! (that's french by the way) my tank was at least closer to being Amazonic.

If one ever makes the trip to the Amazon, I must recommend that you make sure the expedition goes to the Rio Negro and it confluence with the Amazon. The difference in water color is pronounced. And the mixing of the two waters is amazing. Quite a site to see.

GeegaFish 05-21-2008 03:24 PM

It looks very pretty Snorky, but I'm confused. Is this the same tank you were working on before with the slate, foam, wrong silicone fiasco? Just curious....don't want to bring up bad memories for you.

porksnorkel 05-21-2008 08:18 PM

well dern mon. i'm suprised i hadn't found that in my research, or maybe i did and forgot intentionally. but...gotta have the plants and the silvers can be replaced w/ something else. or perhaps i can find room in a non- planted tank.

[/quote]Not muddy, per se, but dark from vegetative decay and roiling from current. Just a heads up on your stocking: the silver dollars will view the Vallisnerias as a salad bar. Would keep a bunch of them if they were such plant lawnmowers. View them as vegetarian piranhas, you get the idea. Though it chaffs me to say it, because I do only well-planted tanks, if you want to keep silver dollars, the plants should be silk. Sheesh. And you should stock up on Romaine lettuce (only Romaine), leaf spinach and other leafy vegetables in the produce isle at the grocery store as for optimum health and color of your SD's, they gotta have the greens.

Dave[/quote]

porksnorkel 05-21-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
I actually made my Amazon a blackwater tank. Not being a purist by any stretch of one's imagination, having "safari'd" to the Mecca of South American fishdom, I couldn't stand having my water THAT clear. lol I added some hard woods, teak and oak, some blackwater extract and Voila!!! (that's french by the way) my tank was at least closer to being Amazonic.

If one ever makes the trip to the Amazon, I must recommend that you make sure the expedition goes to the Rio Negro and it confluence with the Amazon. The difference in water color is pronounced. And the mixing of the two waters is amazing. Quite a site to see.

i like a bit of blackwater myself, but my wood seems to be running low on tannin. it was darker a few weeks ago, but i've had this wood for a few years now. i actually had collected and scrubbed a mess of dead cypress and oak, but it made a huge mess. i guess the wood was to soft. here's a shot at my original set up in this tank...
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...anopies039.jpg
i would have included the shot originally, but i didn't want to make confusion. i have multiple threads running on my 2 -125 tanks.

i have seen the 2 rivers mix on that BBC show 'amazing amazon'. good show and some great habitat info.

porksnorkel 05-21-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeegaFish
It looks very pretty Snorky, but I'm confused. Is this the same tank you were working on before with the slate, foam, wrong silicone fiasco? Just curious....don't want to bring up bad memories for you.

this is the first tank Geega. i have 2- 125g tanks on identical stands/canopies. the tank u mentioned has been cleaned, but i need more substrate. also letting any remaining trace caulk, soften for a final scrub down. once i set it up w/ the new stuff, i'll put my tester fish [pair of rosy barbs] in for a week or 2, to start cycle, and make sure everything is ok for fancy fishies.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...nksetup004.jpg
[pardon the baby birthday stuff]

oh...no bad memories...only learning experiences and new things to conquer!! let's call it a "bittersweet victory"

GeegaFish 05-22-2008 06:41 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Wow....what a nice set up with two huge tanks in your room!!! Wishing you better luck on your continued decoration adventures. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2