Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   My Betta has been attacked! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-betta-has-been-attacked-14832/)

NickyO 05-20-2008 04:48 PM

My Betta has been attacked!

[url]My boyfriend stupidly got some small, seemingly harmless baby fish from a friend the other night. We put them straight in the tank, as advised, with my Betta, Gordon, Goggle eyes the shibunkin, and four minnows who have all lived happily together for the last two years. Everything was fine the first night but then we decided we needed to clean the tank. This was done the following evening and all seemed to be fine. Came home from work the next night and went to feed the fish as usual but couldn't find Gordon anywhere. He didn't appear all night. With hindsight I really wish we'd made more of an effort to look for him but he's pretty good at hiding when he wants to. The next morning my boyfriend went for another look and actually found Gordon, near the top of the tank. All his lovely fins have been eaten and he's now half the fish he used to be. Obviously we cleaned out the tank straight away, the rogue fish, which turned out to be 'convicts' have been sent to the local aquatic centre and we've bought all kinds of stuff to help repair Gordon's finds. Goggle Eyes didn't make it, they'd had a go at his dorsal fin and he died the next day but Gordon's still hanging in there. Anybody got any advice please?

Meatpuppet 05-20-2008 04:53 PM

what is the size of your tank. does it have a heater?
i would take out Gordon and get him his own heated and filtered 2.5 gallon (or bigger). The shubunkin has long fins that bettas usally dont go well with. and the minnows could be nipping his fins. so i would remove the betta

NickyO 05-20-2008 05:01 PM

Gordon

Gordon has lived happily with the minnows and the shibunkin for two years now. It was the convicts that attacked him. His tank is fine, heated at 78 degrees, but he is traumatised and I was hoping someone may be able to advise whether or not his fins will grow back and if he's likely to recover fully. I can't tell you how guilty we feel allowing him those natural born killers into the tank!

Meatpuppet 05-20-2008 05:13 PM

Re: Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyO
Gordon has lived happily with the minnows and the shibunkin for two years now. It was the convicts that attacked him. His tank is fine, heated at 78 degrees, but he is traumatised and I was hoping someone may be able to advise whether or not his fins will grow back and if he's likely to recover fully. I can't tell you how guilty we feel allowing him those natural born killers into the tank!

oh well its good about the heater. :thumbsup:
yes his fins will grow back. just be sure to keep up on water changes to keep water prams good to help healing process

iamntbatman 05-20-2008 07:02 PM

If his fins are really that tattered, you may want to invest in some Melafix for him. The stuff works wonders for fixing injuries and torn fins. There's a thread in this section of the forum I made about making your own Melafix.

Falina 05-20-2008 08:42 PM

just remember that bettas are sensitive to many of the ingrdients in melafix. use it only at 1/5 of the dose if you decide to use it. Plenty of small frequent water changes, excellent water quality and a good varied diet should be enough however for him to heal.

iamntbatman 05-20-2008 08:45 PM

Oh, thanks Falina, I forgot to mention that about the Melafix. They make a product called Bettafix, but it's literally exactly the same thing as Melafix but diluted due to the sensitivity of bettas. You can buy regular Melafix and just use less of it or even better, make your own Melafix and using it at a much reduced strength for your betta.

JMeenen 05-21-2008 11:16 AM

I used Bettafix..just a drop in 5 Gallons on my poor little Speck..he now has beautiful long flowing fins.

okiemavis 05-21-2008 05:49 PM

Melafix/bettafix is very good for this situation, with any luck the fins will grow back to their original glory.

It's a simple antibacterial, so it won't directly heal the fins (whatever that means?), but it will help prevent infection and scarring as they grow back, so that he won't be fighting off infection while recovering. Poor little guy! Just make sure he has lots of hiding places, and isn't being picked on. Sometimes fish that have always been nice will pick on a fish when it becomes sick. So it's a good thing to watch out for.