Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Goodbye Teebs

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  aunt kymmie 
#1 ·
This afternoon we had to take the family dog to be put to sleep. He was really old, and had been with us for about twelve years after being abandoned by his previous owners. He was a lovely wee character - very gentle and loving. We're all going to miss him very much, especially my parents who he was living with. :cry:

The staff at the vet surgery were very kind, and my mum was able to go in and sit with him.

I'll post up a pic of him later.

#4 ·
I know the feeling Kate. A few years ago I had to do the same with my black lab, By-Tor, BT for short. He was a pound puppy that was absolutely the best dog I have ever owned. That statement may not be fair to tall of the other dogs in my life, but he was truly special. He lived to the ripe old age of 17, that 102 in dog years. But time caught up with him.

We had a good long last full day together, even stopping at McDonalds for his favorite plain double cheeseburger and large french fry. I stayed in the room with him while the doctor gave him the meds, just to make sure he didn't suffer. I kept petting him and reassuring him that all was well. I think he knew he and I would never be together in the park again. He licked my hand just before closing his eyes for the last time. A few minutes passed and he took his last breath. A great dog roams Heaven now.

#6 ·
Thanks folks. We really spoiled him before taking him to the vet, and when we got there gave him some of his favourite dog biscuits. At least we know he had a good life, and was very much loved.

#7 ·
I also have had to put a dog down before. I have also put down a cat. The dog was dieing a slow painfull death because of a tumor. The cat just decided to stop eating and the doctors didnt know what to do or what it was. The dog was a Yellow Lab named Goldie and was an awsome dog. The cat was a blue russian and wasnt that freindly but was one of the best looking cats i had ever seen. I miss them both.

#10 ·
Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal passes that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.Ther are meadowsand hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of water and food and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, exceptfor one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stopsand looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then together you cross Rainbow Bridge. :D

#12 ·
My heart goes out to you Amphitrite. I have been saddened many times in my life by the fact that our furry friends don't live as long as us. It never seems fair, but we have to do our best to enjoy them while they are here and keep them with us in our hearts and minds, always. ::tearing up:: :roll:

#16 ·
sorry to hear that :(, oh and ive have rainbow bridge in scrapbook to remeber my dear rabbit which passed away, when he was very young, and its always stuck with me. I have another one:
If tears could build a staircase,
and memories a lane,
id walk right up to heaven
and bring you down again.

I know that one off by heart. I hate it when people dont treat there animals right because its very clear that we get attached to them very quickley and they need us as much as we need them. Im sure he had a great life, and is watching over you right know (yea i believe animals do that to)

#17 ·
Lol this thread is soooo sad! Oh my god, this was a bad idea... I'm trying to think and I don't remember being there for any of my dogs or cats being put to sleep. Then again all my dogs have died thanks to cars. I held my rat when she got put to sleep, that was hard. I'm really sorry to hear about your losses... I know loosing a pet is so hard. Just thinking about my cat going makes me want to cry.

#18 ·
My baby sister had a doberman "Brandon" who developed cancer in one leg and the vet offered to remove the leg in an effort to give my sister a few more months with her beloved dog. My sister however could not bare the thought and so with much crying she had her pet put down to ease the suffering. I held the dog during its last moments for my sister could not bare to. We then drove back home with brandon for my sister wanted him buried in the back yard. I was to dig a suitable resting place and proceeded to do so. When attempting to place her pet in it's resting place I discovered that the medicine along with the time it took to dig the grave had caused her pet to become quite stiff. I explained that i thought it might be necessary to bend his legs so that he would better fit his resting place when my sister who had been supervising my efforts angrily announced..."You will do no such thing!" I was then instructed to make his resting place deeper. When it was all said and done Brandon was placed standing up in his resting place which went from three feet to nearly six. I never made a peep in protest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.