Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   swolen abdomen (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/swolen-abdomen-14820/)

carmelita 05-20-2008 12:29 AM

swolen abdomen

I got a beta about a month ago. Just today I noticed he is swollen just behind the gills. I just cleaned the water 3 or four days ago. I feed twice a day but have never actually seen him eat. I also have two ghost shrimp in the tank. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with him. he doesn't act like he's in pain...

Lupin 05-20-2008 12:50 AM

What water do you use? Any pics of the fish? Water parameters, size of tank, foods used? My guess is goiter due to lack of iodine but pics are a must before any further inquiries on how to treat must be handed out.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

Meatpuppet 05-20-2008 12:51 AM

it could be constipation have you seen poo in your tank?
for constipation you will have to feed him a frozen pea. defrost it in warm water, take off the pea's outer shell then cut it up into little bite size peices and feed to fish. carful bcuz the pieces are likly to sink.
if he doesnt eat the pea you could always try diffent ways (dry the pea, smaller peices, feed off the end of a toothpick etc.)

peas are great for fish digestion and help flush out their systems, and they are a great diet supplement too

carmelita 05-20-2008 01:16 AM

I haven't seen poo. I used spring water at first, but when I changed the water I used tap with the treatment drops. He's in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and filter and one plant (dont know what kind). he kinda looks pregnant. I haven't measured ph levels yet. don't know where to get a kit.

I feed him two pellets and a small pinch of flakes each day. No matter how long I wait by the tank I never see him eat. I bought the shrimp cuz the lady told me he would kill and eat them, but as of this morning they were both alive and well. I havent seen one of them in a while though.

I couldn't get a good picture because he is afraid of the camera and goes into hiding when he sees it.

missfish1996 05-20-2008 03:54 PM

Umm try feeding him 1 pellet ya know maybe he is just fat.. maybe consitpated feed him a errant pea without the shell, umm well that's all I got

stephenmontero 05-20-2008 04:29 PM

you can get a test kit at any petstore but go with a liquid test kit even tho they are a little more expensive they work best. i would recommend the API liquid master test kit thats what most people here use

Meatpuppet 05-20-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenmontero
you can get a test kit at any petstore but go with a liquid test kit even tho they are a little more expensive they work best. i would recommend the API liquid master test kit thats what most people here use

just to add to that dont get the test stips either, your fish store will probly try to sell them to you. resist. they are ridicuously expensive, inacuret, and dont work.

Lupin 05-20-2008 08:46 PM

Oh, she meant 'behind the gills'. My bad.

carmelita 05-21-2008 02:11 AM

How do I get him to eat the pea. I mashed it up and put it on a toothpick but he just looked at it and swam away. I haven't fed him since yesterday afternoon. It eventually fell to the bottom and the shrimp already finished it.

I have never seen him eat. I wait for 10 to 15 minutes after feeding him to see if he will...but he ignores the food and lets it sink to the bottom. How do I remedy this

achelle3 05-21-2008 11:00 AM

He doesn't sound like a happy fish since he isn't eating. I've noticed some fish just take a while to get used to the environment and refuse to eat.. or they are just scared. Hopefully he starts soon. Have you tried just once a day feedings? All fish are different and you have to see how often he likes to eat. Some don't eat everyday. He may also be going and eating the food off the bottom when you aren't around, some are odd fish. That might be a part of the problem, he is trying to eat food that's sat in the water to long.. I'm no expert though, just a few things i've noticed from a few fish I've had, maybe it can help you, or someone else will be able to tell you what you can do. good luck.