Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Single BB goby? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/single-bb-goby-14792/)

It'sJames 05-18-2008 08:18 PM

Single BB goby?

Do BB gobies do best alone or in a small group?

Lupin 05-18-2008 10:13 PM

Re: Single BB goby?

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sJames
Do BB gobies do best alone or in a small group?

They can be aggressive against each other especially when they mark their territories. You'll be fine with a pair or a trio provided you have enough hiding places for them. I've never tried keeping only one but I can say it's possible.

herefishy 05-18-2008 10:45 PM

It must be said also that adequate tank size should be provided. The larger the tank, the more area to provide suitable places for the gobys to call their own. They may be able to be kept as a loose group, but I know of no one who has successfully done so. One may be able to do it, but I would not test the nature of these fish.

It'sJames 05-19-2008 01:37 PM

Okay, that's good to know. I only bought one, but I wasn't sure if maybe they would do better in a group. After your comments and some reading online, I suppose he'll do fine on his own. Thanks!

Lupin 05-19-2008 06:00 PM

By the way, James, I just notice this is posted in Brackish section but please note BBG's should be fine in freshwater provided the pH does not fall below 7 nor too soft for it.

I'll consider moving it to another section so the impression that these are purely BW won't get stuck.

It'sJames 05-19-2008 08:03 PM

Funny that you mentioned that... He actually is in freshwater. After I bought him I was doing some reading and found that some people say they're brackish, so I just put the post under Brackish. Are they best kept in freshwater, or brackish? He'll stay in a freshwater tank, but just for the records I'd like to know which is best. :wink:

Lupin 05-19-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sJames
Funny that you mentioned that... He actually is in freshwater. After I bought him I was doing some reading and found that some people say they're brackish, so I just put the post under brackish. Are they best kept in freshwater, or brackish? He'll stay in a freshwater tank, but just for the records I'd like to know which is best. :wink:

Freshwater. Brackish is fine but most people find them to do better in BW although FW should work just as well. Their origins are mostly FW, not BW although they, like mollies, can do well in BW. I caught my own BBG's in FW estuarines a few years back not knowing they were actually BBG.;)

It'sJames 05-19-2008 08:14 PM

I see... Very good to know. Thanks Lupin! :D