Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Platy Fry!?!?!?!?!?!?!HELP!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platy-fry-help-14780/)

paws 05-18-2008 03:40 PM

Platy Fry!?!?!?!?!?!?!HELP!!!

OK well i think i had a pregnant platy.......... He/she seemed to at the bottom of the tank on his belly at the night. Then i woke up and he was still on his belly. then I went to riding and i came back at 4:00 and he was on his side dead....... But i saw these little orange fish swimming around.... I turned off the filter so they wouldn't get sucked in....... But i don't know what to do I think they are babies. Should i leave them in there or what? Should i turn up the temp? What should feed them?HELP!!!!

mattmartindrift 05-18-2008 06:53 PM

Re: Platy Fry!?!?!?!?!?!?!HELP!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by paws
OK well i think i had a pregnant platy.......... He/she seemed to at the bottom of the tank on his belly at the night. Then i woke up and he was still on his belly. then I went to riding and i came back at 4:00 and he was on his side dead....... But i saw these little orange fish swimming around.... I turned off the filter so they wouldn't get sucked in....... But i don't know what to do I think they are babies. Should i leave them in there or what? Should i turn up the temp? What should feed them?HELP!!!!

I left my tank the exact same; I now have a quickly exploding platy population.

started with about 5, now have about 25 and growing...

Anyone want some Platys?

paws 05-19-2008 07:57 PM

no i don't need platys i need HELP! There seems to only been 1 fry.... i am not sure why....I seached the whole tank for another fry but i did not find one. The baby seems to be healthy; he is swimming and resting at regular times. I am feeding him crushed shrimp.... Is that ok? He seems to eat it. I tried to crush up some of my flakes and he just brushed them off. I went to 3 different pet store to try and find powder food and they didn't carry it... He is growing finely. He grew about 1 milimeter this day..... His/her body is well formed from what i am seeing..... He/she is in a .5 gallon with a heater.... i think all is well.....

mattmartindrift 05-21-2008 09:14 AM

Like I said, I changed nothing about my tank, feeding, or anything. I now have a healthy population of platys; raised from fry to adulthood -- unintentionally.

Mine had plenty of hiding places which I think helped them survive, I never saw an issue with the males chasing the little ones around thinking they were food, however, I've read that this is not common. I may have lost a few fry, but, the population is now booming, too much so.

southafrica1001 05-22-2008 09:03 AM

congrates on your fry :D like mattmartindrift said just keep every thing the same, make sure the tank is clean as fry(as you would anyway). about the filter (for future) i learnt from a member that the fry are usually strong enough to swim away from the filter, but you have another tank to keep the fry in so that doesnt really matter lol. just keep an eye out if you can get some baby brine shrimp or hatch some then that also works, but im sure the shrimp is fine. good luck

Blaxicanlatino 05-22-2008 09:31 AM

Its possible she ( the mother) died during child birth, a terrible fate.

southafrica1001 05-22-2008 10:19 AM

It is possible, i had a female swordtail that was pregnant and i think she was stressed out from the move from shop to tank that she gave birth the next morning and died soo after:(

paws 05-22-2008 02:18 PM

yes i think so. I had no clue she was pregnat. The pet shop person told me they were all boys. But nope! One was a girl i guess. She probably was streesed out. But he is eating the shrimp! =) It is fun to see him/her grow up!
Also my mother is feeding him too while i am at school.

southafrica1001 05-23-2008 07:21 AM

hehe yea my mother had to feed my swordtail babies when i was out at school. Good luck hope your little one survives:D

paws 05-23-2008 04:00 PM

well i was looking at my 10 gallon ad i found 5 more little guys. They are settling in with 1st one in my fry tank. They actually seem very healthy. They are swimming around. They are eatting too. I am glad that they survived.