Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   baby snail in my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/baby-snail-my-tank-1478/)

trreherd 11-23-2006 11:24 AM

baby snail in my tank

today i found a baby snail in my tank but i only have one adult snail,i have had my anarcis for a couple of weels now so should i have noticed he was a hitchiker long bevor now?
snails arent Asexual rite?

joeshmoe 11-23-2006 11:28 AM

no snails are assexual and 1 brings millions :shock: ! i have a bunch of snails in my tank

jsm11482 11-23-2006 11:54 AM

same here, they keep popping up, we love them (for now)

crazie.eddie 11-23-2006 01:27 PM

I had snails that hitched on plants before and also thought they looked nice in the tank. That was until they overpopulated the tank and made it look ugly, which is why I got the clown loaches.

The best way to kill snails and snail eggs is to either dip the plants in bleach (except the roots) OR in PP (potassium permaganate). PP is allot safer, since you can dip the whole plant, including roots.

If using bleach, give a 2-3 minute bleach dip, rinse, then soak in water containing dechlorinator for another 2-3 minutes. Make sure you use unscented bleach.

If using PP, which is best, you can leave the plant in there for about 15-20 minutes, including the roots. Use a strong solution to turn the water deep purple. Then to neutralize PP, pour either hydrogen pyroxide or dechlorinator, which will turn the water brown. Then rinse the plant. Although this will kill snail eggs. Even though it should kill snail eggs, I remove the stained ones since they are kind of ugly anyways.

Nick 11-23-2006 03:04 PM

I once put a couple snails in my tank just so my clown loaches would eat them. That was when I first got them. The snail just kept surviving then one day i woke up and it was just sitting there so i was doing a gravel vac and it was just the shell...so my clown loaches at it. But the crappy part of the deal is that they dont eat the shell so you still have to get the shell out.

ukefc 11-28-2006 11:37 AM

I have snails and put in a chain loach after the clown loach seemed to be ineffective. I cant see much difference with the chain loach and have to remove the snails by hand

Lupin 11-28-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukefc
I have snails and put in a chain loach after the clown loach seemed to be ineffective. I cant see much difference with the chain loach and have to remove the snails by hand

Hi Ukefc.:wave:

What kind of snail do you have?:) If those are trumpet snails, those are the only snails I find the loaches having difficulties consuming one. My clowns and yoyos did manage to consume all though. I later found out that my water is mainly acidic and this could have soften their shells allowing the loaches to eat them with ease.
Your clowns should be able to take other snails though. On the other hand, the trumpets are more difficult unless they fail to absorb calcium which will harden their shells making them less vulnerable.