Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   new to anemones (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/new-anemones-14769/)

resRfun 05-18-2008 08:12 AM

new to anemones

Ive been reading care sheets and all for anemones (just got mine yesterday) and ive come to realize that they shud be moving around for the first couple of weeks to find a good spot... I dropped mine in yesterday and it landed on top of a live rock, and doesnt seemed to have moved from that spot. Is there a problem with it? does it take longer than a day for it to move? Or does it just like that spot?

Another thing is, Why does it shrivel up as if it was night time? Im pretty sure its a bubble tip (got the swollen tips) and this morning, after i turned on the lights for 2 hours, It just pointed all the tentacles towards its mouth and everything shrank, into a ball.

I couldnt find answers to this any where else, hopefully you guys know the answer, Thanks :)

bettababy 05-18-2008 12:52 PM

Re: new to anemones

Quote:

Originally Posted by resRfun
Ive been reading care sheets and all for anemones (just got mine yesterday) and ive come to realize that they shud be moving around for the first couple of weeks to find a good spot... I dropped mine in yesterday and it landed on top of a live rock, and doesnt seemed to have moved from that spot. Is there a problem with it? does it take longer than a day for it to move? Or does it just like that spot?

Another thing is, Why does it shrivel up as if it was night time? Im pretty sure its a bubble tip (got the swollen tips) and this morning, after i turned on the lights for 2 hours, It just pointed all the tentacles towards its mouth and everything shrank, into a ball.

I couldnt find answers to this any where else, hopefully you guys know the answer, Thanks :)

There are a lot of variables when it comes to keeping an anemone.
Can you please give us the details of the tank?
How long has it been set up?
How big is the tank?
Water params for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and calcium?
Water temp?
SPG/salinity?
What kind of lighting?
What other animals are in the tank?
How much live rock is in the tank?
What are you offering the anemone for food?

All of those things have to be checked before anyone can even begin to sort this out. Anemones are usually one of the first animals to indicate a problem with water quality, but they also can't handle the wrong kinds of lighting, extreme temps or temp fluctuations, other animals that may pick on them, and are super sensitive to spg/salinity.
The more you can tell us and if you can post a few photos, we will then be better able to help you sort this out.

Also, keep in mind that anemones will curl up and look like they're dying when they pass waste, but from your description, it sounds as if your anemone is in trouble.

aquakid 08-19-2008 07:35 PM

for the first thing i think it just likes the spot
for the second thing yes it is normal for it to enclose itself at night
for the third thing there are many factors to the cause of this but i would think it is lack of lighting and your anemone is problably dying i would remove it imediatly becouse if it dies it can destroy the chemical and biological balance of the tank in just 15 minutes.
it would help if you could tell us the type of lighting you have the type of filtration and the type of anemone it would also help if you could give us pics