Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   New platy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/new-platy-14726/)

Blaxicanlatino 05-16-2008 06:03 PM

New platy

I just bought a new female Sunburst platy. She appears to be in good health, and pregnant (I can see the figure of the babies in her womb and small black dots). She is currenly occupying a 1 gallon tank( I know its small but thats all I have) Im preparing to transport her to a 10 gallon tank with a betta in 2 or 3 days.

But one things, I noticed her gills are EXTREMELY red. Is this normal? How should I treat her until she get s moved to the new aquarium?; how to confirm that shes disease free, bacteria free, infection free, and all around wellness.

I know they like to be in groups, but after 2 days from now, im getting another female. anything else I should know? 8)

It'sJames 05-16-2008 06:11 PM

Do you have a plan for all the fry? Platies can store sperm for up to a couple months, so you'll have a lot of fry to deal with. The other female you get is likely to be pregnant too. Platies do eat their young, but if there are sufficient hiding placing in the tank, you're bound to end up with some bigger fry. And if any are males, it will start all over.

Blaxicanlatino 05-16-2008 06:19 PM

I was oing to keep some fry, give some away, sell some, and with the deformed and usless, feed them to the parents and bettas. I really just concerend about the red gills

It'sJames 05-16-2008 06:27 PM

Well, sounds like you have a plan then. :wink: I have two sunburst platies, and they're gills are a bit lighter than the darkest part of their body. So... there might be something wrong with your platy. How long have you had her?

Hope someone here can help. Good luck

Blaxicanlatino 05-16-2008 06:50 PM

about an hour

guppy892 05-16-2008 09:55 PM

If she is really big then that means that she will be pop'in in a couple of days. I dont really know what the red is but it could always be that she is pregnant and she is just maybe stressed. If you have males, watch out, because she will defintly be pregnant again, dont worry about that.

Blaxicanlatino 05-17-2008 08:04 PM

so when should I move her to her primary home in the 10 gallon with the betta?

She doesnt seem happy so I want to move her soon 8)

paws 05-18-2008 07:17 AM

well i think you should wait till she gives birth then after 1 week out her with the betta. You should wait because i think she would be stressed out... but idk i have never breed fish...

Blaxicanlatino 05-18-2008 07:42 AM

man, I should gotten a quarentine tank!!! I'll go ahead and move her to the 10 gallon tank and move the betta to the 1 G fo a week

beetlebz 05-18-2008 09:45 AM

is it possible the gills are red an inflamed due to toxins? was the tank they are in cycled fully or were the fish just tossed in?