Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Can I feed too much brine shrimp? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/can-i-feed-too-much-brine-1472/)

jsm11482 11-22-2006 09:19 PM

Can I feed too much brine shrimp?

So I started feeding my danios frozen brine shrimp (well, thawed of course). They absolutely love it and gobble it up VERY fast. YOu can visibly see that they are fat after a feeding. I am wondering if it is bad to feed them the brine shrimp for every feeding? Their color is much brighter now but I don't want to over-do it.

blueangeleyes 11-22-2006 09:49 PM

Hello! well not sure if you should be feeding at every feeding..but onces per day is good...there is other foods they should be getting..Dont get me wrong brine shrimp is good for them..I hatch my own, to feed my fish..on top of some guppy fry and mollies(fry) and flake food ..some egg yoke and veggies..
I also feed blood worms .as well a lil tubifex worms...

jsm11482 11-22-2006 09:54 PM

Ok so if I do flake food in the AM and brine shrimp at night, that should be good?

trreherd 11-22-2006 10:06 PM

Y dont you do brine shimp every other day? on the days you dont feed brine you could feed flake food. to mix it up a bit you could feed them some veggies once a week.

Gump 11-22-2006 10:18 PM

Brine shirmp isnt to high in nutruents so i wouldnt use it as a staple.

blueangeleyes 11-23-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsm11482
Ok so if I do flake food in the AM and brine shrimp at night, that should be good?

Yes doing flake food in am and brine shrimp at night is fine..
but still try to feed veggies maybe onces a week like trreherd said...
:)

joeshmoe 11-23-2006 11:05 AM

yea i wouldnt feed them that stuff every day i would mx up there food every day.

jsm11482 11-23-2006 12:03 PM

Ok so maybe ill get some tubiflex worms or something, and alternate every night between those and brine shrimp, and flakes in the am. if i was going to feed veggies (for danios) would I be able to just boil em and drop em in or do i have to mash them up?

crazie.eddie 11-23-2006 01:38 PM

Skip the tubifex and use bloodworms.

Regarding the veggies, blanching them, soaking in hot/boiling water for a few minutes, will soften them up making it easier for the fish to eat them and also will help them sink a little. No need to mash them up. With the exception of frozen peas, which I normally thaw, skin, then mash a little between my fingers, before dumping in the tank.

jsm11482 11-23-2006 02:48 PM

Ok, here's another question...how do the fish know what they should eat and what they shouldn't, I mean if I drop a slice of zucchini in the tank, how do they know to eat it? Can they smell it?