Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   NEW FISH...One of a kind?!?!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/new-fish-one-kind-14701/)

patyouth711 05-15-2008 09:06 PM

NEW FISH...One of a kind?!?!?

I just picked up a very rare and beautiful addition to my tank. it is a Albino longfin Ancistrus.

i don't have a picture of him or her as of right now but hopfully i will soon.

i was wondering if anyone else has one of these? and if so how much you paid for it? i paid $90!!! i saw this fish every time i went into my local shop and i figured that it was a sign or fate haha. even though it was a lil expensive it was worth it. this fish looks like an angel.

herefishy 05-15-2008 10:06 PM

I just bought a confirmed breading pair of $65. I do know that larger specimens are going for a tidy some in some areas.

Lupin 05-16-2008 01:20 AM

I have one here but it's not albino so cost would be cheaper. Bought it for 1500 Philippine pesos. This is already expensive for one fish.:shake: Just about 35 US dollars.

southafrica1001 05-16-2008 01:55 AM

i think i have the chocolate version of the longfin, i really think mine is a bristlenose because ive seen a lot of photos of bristlenoses and mine is very similar. it would be cool if she/he is cuse i got her/him very cheap lol. good luck with yours

patyouth711 05-16-2008 07:03 AM

wow...thats great that i'm not the only one with this rare beauty but i feel as if i may have over paid???

i know that this pet shop is good in pricing but when i asked about this fish they said that it was specially raised and had some genetic alteration to make it look the way it does. i'll have to get a picture to better explain myself. but thanks for the help!

teh13371 05-16-2008 09:07 AM

yeah, i wouldnt pay that much for most fish, with exceptions, like a really beautiful angelfish. But if you can get another for less, then u can breed them and make, possibly, a lot of moneyor lots of really good looking fish.

southafrica1001 05-22-2008 09:45 AM

It might be alot of money, its worth it they are really nice looking fish and i love mine to pieces :D

okiemavis 05-22-2008 07:20 PM

I ordered some of the non-longfin albino variety off aquabid, and I'm pretty sure I ended up with two longfins, which is awesome cuz I paid like $20 for all 8 of them. The larger, mature standard fin ones go for $35 dollars at my LFS, so I can only imagine how much the longfins would go for, they're so pretty!

I'm more willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money on fish than anything else. See my topic about a $70 pleco I bought today :P Expensive plecos are my weakness, and I feel they are totally worth every penny!