Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   looking into crayfish.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/looking-into-crayfish-1465/)

blueangeleyes 11-22-2006 02:56 PM

looking into crayfish..

:) hello..
I am thinking about doing a tank just for crayfish..does anyone have such thing.? if so what would be the care and would I need to heat this tank?

also what kind would be good to start with?
Please help out here....

thanks alot!
sharon :D

jinithith2 11-22-2006 07:05 PM

I had a small 2.5 gal with wild caught crayfish.
I originally used a whisper internal filter but switched over to an airpowered spongefilter when I noticed that the wild ones like murky waters more.

they loved my fish foods and I occasionally gave them a treat of bloodworms and shrimp.

hope that helps!

blueangeleyes 11-22-2006 08:34 PM

:D Great thanks alot for the infor...and yes any feedback I get is helpful.. :wink:

jinithith2 11-23-2006 06:33 PM

was that wink at the end implying that my input wasnt helpful? :shock: :D

good luck with your tank! crayfish are a lot of fun. Just remember to keep a tight cover on it becuase they like to shoot backwards occasionally and come out of the tank. I found my 3 inch crayfish sitting in my sink in the morning... it was still alive but dry as heck :D

blueangeleyes 11-24-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinithith2
was that wink at the end implying that my input wasnt helpful? :shock: :D

good luck with your tank! crayfish are a lot of fun. Just remember to keep a tight cover on it becuase they like to shoot backwards occasionally and come out of the tank. I found my 3 inch crayfish sitting in my sink in the morning... it was still alive but dry as heck :D

LOL ...your input was helpful...thanks..
That must have been a shock ,to see your crayfish sitting in your sink?haha
Well I think i have found my crayfish ..just need to do a lil more research into it..it's the blue crayfish also knowing by electric blue crayfish..
So i'll see about it... :wink:

dprUsh83 11-24-2006 05:43 PM

Can't wait to see some pictures! :)

blueangeleyes 11-25-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dprUsh83
Can't wait to see some pictures! :)

Oh dont worry i'll post pictures of the cray when I get him/her...But i think I better hold off on it, till after christmas...

I just got three hermit crabs..silly lil guys... :lol:

fish_4_all 12-28-2006 01:00 PM

Get as much info as you can on the different species. Coomon wild craws here need water in the 60's. Blue lobster need a much higher temp. Bumble bee's need another and so on. Also, live plants will help with their diet but won't last too long, veggies once in a while will help them also. Just like anyhting else, keep their diets varied as much as possible and make sure it is clean. Unlike their wild counterparts, captive bred ones don't have the immunities.

Best of luck, I think they are really cool and if I ever have room will have a few of my own.