Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   want to switch to saltwater!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/want-switch-saltwater-1462/)

connord182 11-22-2006 09:11 AM

want to switch to saltwater!!!

ok so i have a ten gallon laying around at home and i want to turn it into a little salt water aquarium. nothing to big, but i want to try it out. i just wanted to know how much would it cost to set up a good saltwater aquarium for my 10 gal. (do i need a certain filter? how much salt to buy? coral?) any help on getting started is appreciated.

trreherd 11-23-2006 06:37 PM

sence nobody else wanted to respond i will
that all depends what do you want to keep?
do you want corals?-If so you will need special lighing($70)
If you only want some fish and a few shrimps than its cheap.
the live rock in a 10 gallon would be 70 bucks if purchased off liveaquaria(thats were i would get it)
The salt would be cheap($40 worth would last you a long time)
No you do not need a certain filter
Oh i see it looks like you stated that you wanted coral. for the pricing on coral you can make it however much you want it to be.

connord182 11-23-2006 08:38 PM

k thanks! if i did anything, it would just get like a few fish. i dont know if i would want to keep coral cause that sounds a little hard. i would maybe try to get fake coral? i dont know really. just fish and salt is all it sounds like i need. so hopefully it wouldnt be too exspensive!

Lupin 11-23-2006 08:48 PM

Hi Connord.:wave:

You are given the option of which marine system you really want to keep.
Fish only, FOWLR, mixed community reef, full on reef(if reef do you keep soft corals, LPS, or mainly SPS)

I would suggest Chromis caerulea as your starting fish. Amphiprion ocellaris is also another option but I like it better if they are kept with anemones. And as I've been reading in this section, some marine enthusiasts will suggest bubble anemone as the only anemone fit for a small tank.:)

There's a thread by Nick in Saltwater Pictures and Videos. It contains everything about his 10 gallons marine tank.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

caferacermike 11-23-2006 08:54 PM

For a 10g I would concentrate mainly on corals, not fish. Not to many fish that I would recommend for such a small tank. Maybe a Panda goby if available, about $50. Or tiger/fusa gobies for about $20. I'd try to fill it with mushrooms and zoas. Maybe some small LPS like hammers, frogspawn, torch or galaxia. A handful of hermits, snails and one white sand shifting star. One sixline wrasse would be plenty of fish. I'd at least look into either a nice canister (Eheim 1213) or a HOT (like whisper) to add some currents if not adding a powerhead.

trreherd 11-23-2006 09:33 PM

I agree with mike that in a 10 gallon you should not expect much out of fish but you should focus more on coral and inverts. now this dosent meen you cant have cool pets in there. in a ten gallon you could keep a couple shrimp. Here are some shrimp that you could keep that are beutiful looking-fire shrimp-pistol shrimp-cleaner shrimp-sexy shrimp- peperment shimp.In my opinion these shrimp are better looking than a lot of fish. Plus i have seen them in a store and they are quite active.

connord182 11-23-2006 09:52 PM

so if im gonna focus more on coral than fish, could that get exspensive? i do have a kinda tight budget that fluxuates a lot (im only 15. no job!). so i could go for corals and invertabrae's. but i have a couple q's about the coral. first, are they hard to keep? like do you need to have perect water conditions and everything? and also, how much would it cost for one to start off with?

Nick 11-23-2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trreherd
sence nobody else wanted to respond i will
that all depends what do you want to keep?
do you want corals?-If so you will need special lighing($70)
If you only want some fish and a few shrimps than its cheap.
the live rock in a 10 gallon would be 70 bucks if purchased off liveaquaria(thats were i would get it)
The salt would be cheap($40 worth would last you a long time)
No you do not need a certain filter
Oh i see it looks like you stated that you wanted coral. for the pricing on coral you can make it however much you want it to be.

Actually the lighting part is wrong if you want to grow corals. I also have a little ten gallon nano which i just recently got up and running. I have adequate lighting in my nano and it wasnt no 70$. It's lighting that I am able to grow most corals too. It's just a 50/50 fluorscent bulbs. I have the ten gallon hood so there two screw in type bulbs. They were about 12.00$ a piece. So its not to expensive :D :D

I cant really tell you if its easy or hard because I had it easy and already got cycled water and very expertiese live rock.

Nick

caferacermike 11-23-2006 10:19 PM

Nick you may be keeping corals under that light but I wonder how they will do in the long run. They may be slowly wasting away. I'd recommend a fixture with at least 50w of T5 or PC lighting. corals won't be very expensive. I'd suggest making friend with local reefers. PM me your location and I'll help you search for contacts.

trreherd 11-24-2006 02:09 PM

Nick sure you may be able to keep low light coral in your tank but i think if he relly wants to have a serious reef tank he should get some serious lighting.
And by the way connord182 Im only 13(14 in two weeks!) and im setting up a 15 gallon reef. i plan on spending a few hundred wonce the tank is fully stocked. I just purchased a light that set me back $107
No in a 10 gallon you dont need ''perfect water conditions'' cause you probly wont be keeping sensitive coral(some of the sensitive coral i dont think are that good looking anyway)
if you want someone here to give you accurate pricing for a ten gallon you need to tell us what you already have.(a tank,a canapy,a powerfilter,ect)I think a 10 gallon nano reef is defenetly in the budjet of a 15 year old(keep in mind christmas is a month away :brow:
If you are unfimiliar with these terms than google them so you can better comunicate with the people here
live rock
live sand
actanic lighting
biofiltration
salinity
hydrometer
and some other stuff i cant think of rite now