Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   Goldfish Pond Alive With Babies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/goldfish-pond-alive-babies-146034/)

fish monger 04-05-2013 05:03 PM

Goldfish Pond Alive With Babies

We're experiencing a nice mild sunny day here in Cincy. I leaned over the back porch railing to look at the goldfish pond and was absolutely astounded at the number of babies. I guess that's a good sign; however, being the person I am, my next thought was this pond can't handle all of them. It's approximately 400 gallons. The largest fish are six 8 inch comets bought from a feeder tank 2 years ago. There are also about six 1 1/2 inch fish from the fall and now at least 50 at about 1/2 inch. Guess I'm going to hit the local fish hatchery and see if they have any interest in them. They stock lakes and ponds on a big scale...tanker truck loads of fish.

Friesian Fish 04-05-2013 05:24 PM

Oh congratulations!
Yeah, that's A LOT of fish!
Maybe if some of your friends wanted some, you could give them a couple.

Chesh 04-06-2013 01:10 AM

I can't imagine what that must feel like - peeking in after winter's thaw to find soooo many babies born! What a pleasant surprise. . . I hope you are able to find homes for them all.

. . . now I'm trying to imagine what a "tanker truck load of fish" must look like! O.o

DragonFyre14 04-06-2013 12:56 PM

That's really cool! Hopefully you can find good homes for all of them.

thekoimaiden 04-11-2013 11:47 PM

Goldfish are notorious for doing that lol! I've heard it said that once you put goldfish in a pond you'll never get them out. Maybe you could try posting an ad on craigslist to see if someone is looking for goldfish for a new spring pond?

Also pics? I love seeing ponds (cute begging face)

fish monger 04-12-2013 06:18 AM

Guess the mild winter had something to do with it. We never had this many babies. I had completely forgotten that my daughter has two large natural (soil bottom) ponds on her property. That will be where the majority of them go.

I'll send pics when the plants around the pond start filling in with the warm weather. It looks like a puddle compared to yours in any event.

jentralala 04-12-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1662857)
I can't imagine what that must feel like - peeking in after winter's thaw to find soooo many babies born! What a pleasant surprise. . . I hope you are able to find homes for them all.

. . . now I'm trying to imagine what a "tanker truck load of fish" must look like! O.o

It would look something like this
:p

EDIT: And good luck with the goldfish babies! Always exciting to see babies :)

fish monger 04-12-2013 12:11 PM

That's it alright. They sell packages containing game fish, catfish, minnows, tadpoles, etc. The idea being to set up a natural environment. They also suggest throwing old Christmas trees, pallets into the lake / large pond for spawning sites. Not the typical aquarium type of arrangement at all. In some states, the government will actually stock your lake for free to preserve natural species.

MoneyMitch 04-13-2013 04:39 PM

pix pix pix!!!!

fish monger 04-14-2013 04:49 AM

Give me a little while. It looks pretty barren out there right now. The babies are a dark bronze color. You see them when they swim over a lighter area.